Volvo Owners Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (volvotech06 @ Sep 30 2006, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm a tech for a local dealer and can help. There have been mulitple porblems with these transmissions and volvo has released tech notes to address each one. The first one envolves the TCM software. There is a software upgrade that when performed with a transmission adaptation reset can resolve the problem. The key to that fix is resetting the trans. adaptation. Another common problem envolves the B4 servo. The pinch welds that hold a washer to the servo break and this can cause shift flares, harsh engagments, and slipping. Volvo came out with an updated servo and the replacement is fairly easy, you don't even have to open the pan. You can see the servo housing by removing the left front tire. The cover is a circle with a cross looking symbol stamped on it. The cover is held down by a snap ring. The last concern envolves the transmission valve body. Volvo came out with an updated valve body to fix multiple concerns. If anyone is interested give me the last six numbers of your VIN and I'll see which of these fixes your vehicle possibly qualifies for, I can't release the tech notes from volvo because they would concider divulging trade secrets.

· Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (volvotech06 @ Sep 30 2006, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm a tech for a local dealer and can help. There have been mulitple porblems with these transmissions and volvo has released tech notes to address each one. The first one envolves the TCM software. There is a software upgrade that when performed with a transmission adaptation reset can resolve the problem. The key to that fix is resetting the trans. adaptation. Another common problem envolves the B4 servo. The pinch welds that hold a washer to the servo break and this can cause shift flares, harsh engagments, and slipping. Volvo came out with an updated servo and the replacement is fairly easy, you don't even have to open the pan. You can see the servo housing by removing the left front tire. The cover is a circle with a cross looking symbol stamped on it. The cover is held down by a snap ring. The last concern envolves the transmission valve body. Volvo came out with an updated valve body to fix multiple concerns. If anyone is interested give me the last six numbers of your VIN and I'll see which of these fixes your vehicle possibly qualifies for, I can't release the tech notes from volvo because they would concider divulging trade secrets.

· Registered
2 Posts

Dear Volvotech
I realize you wrote this some time ago - but browsing the net I found that I am not alone with my Volvo gerbox problems. Being a singe working mom my quality time with the kids tend to take place in the car managing logistics from A to B. I have a Vovlvo V70 2.4T

I have the excact same problems as described above...efter some of and on messages from the system and the eksactly same issuse as "mad188" my volvo has now started to turn off when I brake!!!!! NOT SAFE!

Vovlo offcouse says a new gearbox is my only solution but that would require something more than a day-job. My last 6 vin digits are 078191. Any help even suggestions on where I can by a used gearbox are most welcome. I live in Europe.

· Registered
62 Posts
Not trying to ruin anybody's party but volvotech06 no longer hangs around this forum, but I'll try to shed some light on the issue. I am not a volvo tech but a volvo enthusiast and the following I have learned from other volvo forums.

2001-2002 S60/V70/XC70 trannies have a high failure rate due to 3 major causes:
1)stop neutral feature (software). The transmission goes to neutral when you step on the brakes to save gas. Bad feature and the major reason for tranny failure.

2)shitty valve bodies and 3) poor tranny maintenance, ie. no tranny fluid changes.

If you own a 2001/2002 volvo and the tranny is beginning to show early signs of failure:
-remove the stop neutral feature inmediately (dealer only),
-refresh the tranny fluid ASAP
-install a magnefine tranny filter
-replace the B4 servo cover(2001 only)

These recommendations will extend the life of your tranny if still in decent shape, BUT if the tranny is already damaged, these won't do a thing for you.

Good luck.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello All:

I have a 2001 xc70 with many of the problems I am reading about including harsh shifts and flaring. I finally was able to solve the problem by buying a case of Toyota Type 4 Fluid and about 4 cans of Seafoam Tranmission Cleaner. Every 500 miles I would drain and fill with a can of Seafoam, after four or five changes, the tranny smoothed out and everything has been fine since. My guess is that dirt gets in the valve body and prevents smooth shifting. In retrospect, I would advocate changing your fluid every 15K if your tranny is working well. I can't say enough good about Seafoam, it solved my problem.

Dave

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello All:

I have a 2001 xc70 with many of the problems I am reading about including harsh shifts and flaring. I finally was able to solve the problem by buying a case of Toyota Type 4 Fluid and about 4 cans of Seafoam Tranmission Cleaner. Every 500 miles I would drain and fill with a can of Seafoam, after four or five changes, the tranny smoothed out and everything has been fine since. My guess is that particles get in the valve body, clog it, and prevents smooth shifting. In retrospect, I would advocate changing your fluid every 15K if your tranny is working well. I can't say enough good about Seafoam, it solved my problem.

Dave

· Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Dave E @ Jan 13 2012, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello All:

I have a 2001 xc70 with many of the problems I am reading about including harsh shifts and flaring. I finally was able to solve the problem by buying a case of Toyota Type 4 Fluid and about 4 cans of Seafoam Tranmission Cleaner. Every 500 miles I would drain and fill with a can of Seafoam, after four or five changes, the tranny smoothed out and everything has been fine since. My guess is that dirt gets in the valve body and prevents smooth shifting. In retrospect, I would advocate changing your fluid every 15K if your tranny is working well. I can't say enough good about Seafoam, it solved my problem.

Dave

Is it still working for you?

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
New here with a 2005 XC70 2.5 that is in limp mode with 78 000 km on the clock.
I had the gearbox reconditioned and it turns out that the previous owner had tried to exchange the TCM thinking it would solve the problem but because the TCM has a different number it does not communicate with the gearbox, well so I have been told… They tried a software update… but it didn’t work…
Does anyone know if a TCM can be retro fitted and actually work? And if so, where to get one in South Africa?
Cheers
Roddy

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 V70R (with 114k) which began to have this problem late this summer. Specifically after about 30 minutes of driving, after being stopped, the transmission (Geartronic 6 speed) would thunk when shifted from P, N, R, D. Afterwards, sometimes when the car shifted from 2nd to 3rd, or from 3rd down to 2nd (when slowing and braking), the shift would be harsh and clunking.

But both these problems were sporadic. Ninety-nine % of the time the trannie was just fine.
After reading many posts, suggesting everything from new trannie, fluid flush, software upgrade, coolant contamination, failing valve bodies, etc., I decided replacing that the lower transmission torque mount, a known defect, was the place to start. It was the cheapest fix. I had already replaced the upper engine mount, another known defect. If the upper engine mounts were under-engineered, then likely so was the lower transmission torque mount. As the car needed to be warmed up before the problems occurred, this could be explained by the fact that the torque mount's rubber bushings softened up with heat from the engine.

I ordered IPD's HD Billet & Polyurethane Transmission Torque Mount and had my mechanic install it. WOW what an immediate difference! The original torque mount was a mess. It's just a metal frame. The bushings were seriously degraded. About 95% of the front-end clunckiness was gone: I had been thinking I was overdue for serious suspension work.

(It's just possible that this fixed also resolved an intermittent "Chassis Service Settings" warning light I had been getting.)

I am not an engineer, or even a mechanic, but it's just common sense that if the transmission housing is not firmly anchored to the subframe, it's not going to do its job very well.

On the editorial side, it seems ridiculous that Volvo is going to all the expense of setting up a 4C suspension system, with all the sensors and so on, and then so seriously under-designing something as fundamental as the torque and engine mounts. It's like building a mansion on a sand foundation.

· Premium Member
3,697 Posts
QUOTE (mentat @ Nov 16 2010, 04:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the intermittent slip, rev, hard clunk problem on my 2002 V70XC as well. It has gotten increasinly frequent from very rare at around 50,000 miles to frequent now at 106,000. The dealer and an independent shop both say it is a systemic problem that can't be repaired. Only option is to replace the transmission with a new one.

Two questions:
1) Are there any repair options with a decent chance of actually working (my VIN ends with 072194)?
2) If I keep driving and don't replace the transmission is it likely to suddenly fail catastrophically and strand me?

Any help is most appreciated,
-=Chris
do a transmission fluid change

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.