Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
call me ambitious, but i love manual trannies. i was wondering if it was possible, or practical to change an automatic transmission for a manual one. i've noticed that the car has the hole in the floor for the clutch pedal, which suggests to me that all the frames are they same, and that it woulnd't require extensive modification. can anyone tell me if i have my head in the clouds?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know it is possible....
I was reading about V8 conversions and I found you can put a manual tranny in a formerly automatic car.
Even though this was related to the converted car, I dont see why you couldnt just replace the tranny...even though to me this seems unnecassary.
Now that I am older, I enjoy the ease and comfort of an automatic.
It makes it much easier to talk on the phone and drink and smoke at the same time!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am no mechanic and I'm sure that it *is* possible.

At the same time, the least painful route is to sell the auto and buy a manual, or just buy the right car in the first place...

consider:

* possible increased insurance premiums due to owning a modified vehicle
* affect on resale value - would you buy a car that someone else had altered the tranny on ?
* the risk that it could get very expensive if your modifcation goes wrong

Its an interesting idea, but I wouldn't attempt on my pride and joy or anything I particularily valued.

Barmy

·
Registered
162 Posts
I did the swap in my 87 745T a few years ago. It isn't that bad of a job to do the conversion. I swapped out the automatic transmission and rear end in about 7 hours total. Of course I spent another 2 hours playing with the electricals to get the OD light in the cluster to work. There is a difference in clusters between the auto and manual transmission cars. Also you have to swap out the OD relay behind the ash tray. The auto and manual relays work in reverse. If you leave the auto relay in the transmission is in OD when the up shift arrow light is OFF. Up shift arrow light on transmission out of OD. The bad side of using the auto relay is there is no 4th gear OD lock out in any gear. That means you have OD in 1-4 and reverse. Hit the OD in reverse you can cook your OD unit real quick. I also had to run wires from the transmission harness to a modified VW bulb holder to the slot behind the OD light. I also had to pull the bulb on the up shift arrow light.
If you can find a cluster out of a manual car then it is all plug and play with the transmission harness. Here is a link to an article on doing the conversion.
AW71 to M46 conversion
I swapped out the rear end because my automatic came with 4.11's and the manuals usually come with 3.54's. The auto's have a .69 OD and the M46 has a .78 OD. I went for the 3.31 rear because I wanted better gas mileage on the highway.
I guess I have close to $1400 into the conversion with out labor. $1000 for the transmission and all the needed parts and the rear end. $300 for a new clutch and $85 for a new clutch cable and $35 to have the fly wheel machined or cleaned up.
You can probably score the parts a little cheaper if you do some wheeling and dealing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i haven't swapped tranny's yet, and i don't know if i will. the first thing i need to do is get my car running. we've been busy rebuilding an old house, so the car's taken the back burner for now. its going to get fixed in the next week or so

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have not done the swap but have looked into it extensively. It seems to me the best way to go is to find a M/T junkyard car and haul it to the house. It wouldn't matter if the junk car had been rolled, pancaked, whatever. We just want the trans. and related components. You would then have the clutch pedal assy, relay, cable, flywheel, etc. all in one package. Simple plug-n-play. Also, your auto car does have 4.10's in the rear-end (as mentioned above). I would try the M/T--4.10 rear combo. It would probably be able to pull an oak tree out of the ground!

·
Registered
265 Posts
ah...to bad you didn't live closer to me, i'd swap ya 2 manual m46's or 47's ( whichever the 5spd one is ) and flywheel for the auto and flywheel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts