Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I got a towbar fitted to my car, it's not a Volvo towbar it's a Brink. (UK Manufacturer).
When I got home I checked it out. The elcetrics are Scotchlocked to the internal wiring - no isolation relays.
I read somewhere on the internet that towbars should have isolation relays because of the CPU bus that runs throughout the car.
So far I have had no problems with it although I have only had the car one month and have only had my trailer on it once twice since it was fitted.

My question is -
How will the car react to not having relays fitted in the towbar electrics.
Is it really that important.
Am I just luck that nothing untoward has happened.
If relays are really necessary why doesn't the towbar manufacturer supply them with the wiring loom.
The fitter used Scotchlocks, is this good enough.
.............. finally .........
when checking I found a multiway unconnected block lying in the boot (left hand side) next to where the wiring loom was connected, is this block used by the dealer in fitting 'his' Volvo towbar electrics. If not does any body know what it is for.
(this might be on the right for those of you with left hand drive)

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there Bannerman.

Please tell us all about your Brink tow-bar. Is it still working?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good question, Auckland.

The unconnected block is indeed used to connect the Volvo trailer harness. (It is in fact on the left side of my LHD car.) I was warned of dire consequences if I used Scotchloks to simply tap into the wiring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Auckland,

The only problem I've had was when the car started blowing fuses.
I traced this to the wiring of the lights and the 'dodgy' installation of the trailer electrics.
The trouble was that the installer had tightened a panel onto the wire running from the driver side light to the cable - this was ok initially but with time the wire insulation wore through shorting the cable to chassis. It didn't take me long to find and make good, I just blew 3 fuses in the priocess of faultfinding.
Other than that, the "dire consequences of using scotchblocks" have so far not arisen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Bannerman @ May 17 2006, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Auckland,

The only problem I've had was when the car started blowing fuses.
I traced this to the wiring of the lights and the 'dodgy' installation of the trailer electrics.
The trouble was that the installer had tightened a panel onto the wire running from the driver side light to the cable - this was ok initially but with time the wire insulation wore through shorting the cable to chassis. It didn't take me long to find and make good, I just blew 3 fuses in the priocess of faultfinding.
Other than that, the "dire consequences of using scotchblocks" have so far not arisen.

just out of interest what are the "dire consequences " of using scotchlocks . not long had my s60 and about to fit a towbar to it

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had considered fitting a tow bar myself but not got round to it (other things seems to crop-up consuming my cash)

As far as I know the only problem you might have tapping into the existing wiring is getting bulb failure messages.

Whatever you decide make sure it's working OK though because towbar/wiring will come under MOT inspection this year - so if it is fitted it will have to work.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
QUOTE (Bannerman @ Oct 9 2004, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,
I got a towbar fitted to my car, it's not a Volvo towbar it's a Brink. (UK Manufacturer).
When I got home I checked it out. The elcetrics are Scotchlocked to the internal wiring - no isolation relays.
I read somewhere on the internet that towbars should have isolation relays because of the CPU bus that runs throughout the car.
So far I have had no problems with it although I have only had the car one month and have only had my trailer on it once twice since it was fitted.

My question is -
How will the car react to not having relays fitted in the towbar electrics.
Is it really that important.
Am I just luck that nothing untoward has happened.
If relays are really necessary why doesn't the towbar manufacturer supply them with the wiring loom.
The fitter used Scotchlocks, is this good enough.
.............. finally .........
when checking I found a multiway unconnected block lying in the boot (left hand side) next to where the wiring loom was connected, is this block used by the dealer in fitting 'his' Volvo towbar electrics. If not does any body know what it is for.
(this might be on the right for those of you with left hand drive)
just google view of towbar electrics and see the details.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts