Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to replace my timming belt on my 740 but I'm unsure exactly how hard it is. are there any unfornseen problems like water pump removel or something. it looks to be pretty straight forward.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Its pretty straight foward. The worse part is getting the lower crank pulley off.

If you don't have air tools it might be a pain to get the bolt loose.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Recently had the same probem with my '88 240. Tried it, but it was a pain in the butt. My mechanic replaced the timing belt and it was ready in two hours.
Cost = $145.00 USD. I felt that it was worh the money to have it done. AAA+ towed it to the garage for me - part of the membership. Good luck!
Keluch48

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was struggling with removing the bolt for the lower crank on my 1991 740, after doing the head gasket last week, and came across a thread that suggested using a breaker bar lodged against the left side of the water pump. You the tap the starter and voila (or the Swedish translation of voila) the blot is loose. I was concerned about damaging the water pump but I tried it and it worked excellently. I had a cheater bar on the breaker bar to prevent any injuries, and had my son tap the starter. the bolt broke loose immediately and the pully came off with a few taps. Check the location of the crankshaft when reinstalling. There is a thin washer that has a cut in it and that cut is what alignes with the 11:00 mark on the block. Then line up the other 2 pullys and install the belt. Also be sure to pin the spring loaded tensioner with a nail or a drill bit. It will make reinstalling possible. I loaded up the spring (after only loosening the tension bolt) by using a pry bar and then putting in the drill bit in the hole in the shaft. Then you take apart the assembly and R&R the belt.

Hope this helps. I was able to do the job in about 45 minutes after the 3rd or 4th try to get it right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also, I bought my parts from a site called www.buymbparts.com They wer quite competitive and provided good service. No affiliation other than I like to use them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts