Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, just bought 850 T5, 97 122,000 miles, got a tick noise from top end, sounds like a small end crossed with a stuck tappet, not always there though?, now i have read and heard you guys mentioning, oil pan o-rings, can anyone advise what these are , where they are , how easy to replace? how much, and whether i am safe to drive it as i spent most of my budget buying it and cant afford for it to go bang? any help would be really apreciated

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Look around in the other posts about the o-rings.I believe I have explained how to replace them already.

They are not that hard to do.I think they cost less $20.00 for the o-rings plus the sealer.

If you can't find it let me know and I will retype it.
It is just alot of info to type out.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Tech, someone told me that the 'chemical - metal' sealer-glue is nowadays used as a substitute for most other gaskets, etc. Is it true? I've seen one just a few days back. The storekeeper sahowed it to me and it was pink in color, and costed something like USD100/= a tube.
Whoah...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
On the 850 for the engine yes they use a chemical sealer.The only paper gasket fr the main engine assy. is the head gasket.The rest is done with the chemical sealer.
Yes I think it is pretty expensive.Im not sure about $100.00 dollars but if so they try the dealer I think it would be cheaper there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi sorry but ive tried to find the o-ring info and cant, maybe someone could put a link to it??? i really have tried but drawn a blank, thanks again

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The o-rings are between the oil pan and the lower half of the engine.There is also one in the oil pick up tube.You will have to remove the oil pan to get to them.

You start by draining the oil.Then remove the power steering lines and oil cooler hoses from the front of the engine.They are mounted there with brackets.Just remove the screws and move the lines out of the way.
Then you can start removing the bolts for the oil pan.There should also be one power steering line where the trans meets the engine that you will have to move out of the way as well.
Once all the screws are out including the 4 that go from the pan to the transmission.Then drop the pan you might have to tap on it with a rubber mallet.Drop the pan you might have to move it around a little to get it out.

Also I forgot on the subframe on the right side of the car there is a metal eyelet looking peice of metal.Bent it down so you have room to get the pan out.

Once the pan is out you will see 2 o-rings on the pan or engine.They are by the front of the engine.

Clean the oil pan and bottom of the engine matting surfaces really good.

Then remove the oil pick up tube by removing the 2 10mm screws holding it in there.Pull down on the tube to remove it.Replace the o-ring and reinstall.

You will need to get the special sealer to put the oil pan back on.You use a small roller to roll it onto both sides.I always put some on the engine side where the o-rings go so it will hold the o-rings in place while I put the pan back on.

Have someone watch from the side and make sure the o-rings don't drop when you install the pan.Once the pan touches the block don't let it sag back down the o-rings might fall out of place.I always have the screws in my hand and my drill to screw them in fast.Well atleast some so you don't have to hold the pan up.4 will do

Then just tighten them all up and reinstal the oil and start it up and go.It might tap for a few minutes after you start it but then get quiet.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that i will give it a go, what do these o rings do, will i have to get them from volvo??

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You will be better off buying the from Volvo.I think it is less than $20.00 for all of them.

The oil pump is on the front of the engine the o-rings seal the passages from the pump to the pan.The 3rd one seals the oil pickup tube to the block.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I can now hear the tapping sound from the driver's seat. But it was last night. And the sound wasn't loud at all. It was actually slow, to the point that I would normally miss it, when i drive during the day, or if the seatbelt isn't worn properly. ==> the 'Tak, Tak, Tak' sound from the seatbelt reminder above the rear mirror sounds a lot louder.

My question is thus, how loud would the tapping sound need to be, for me to send it in?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It really doesn't really get all that loud.If it is constantly making the noise all the time then I would take it in.
They can start to diaganose it by checking oil pressure.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
And it comes back to the issue of Engine Oil.

They say that using Fully-Synthetic oil will make the noise more pronounced, because of the super-thin nature of the oil. As such, they say that when I come in for the periodic service in about 1300km-more time, they'll want to consider changing the engine oil into Mineral-based, and avoid even the Semi-Synthetic ones.

Apart from other things that I want to have changed, like timing belt etc.

What do you think, Tech? (About the engine oil)...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That is funny that they say that most people switch to synthetic to make it quieter till they replace the o-rings.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Hmmm, that's OK. I'll continue to make more observations, and post them to you later.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
OK, dude.

Almost a month after I first complained about the tapping / ticking noise, this morning, it got a little loud for my wife and I to all hear.

But before I go have it looked at, can i confirm a few things with you?

1) We noticed that the Ticking noise is now audible from inside the car, with the windows all up. Previously it wasn't very clear.
2) The ticking noise goes faster like 'Tak, tak, tak, tak, tak" when I press the accelerator, and when I release the pedal, the noise pace drops to a lesser pace like 'Tak,..Tak,..Tak..'. Hope you understand, Tech.

3) I remembered the Pan O-Ring writeup, I read that it's a simple wear and tear matter, but what is the cost of delaying this repair? Any high risk? I need to go for a slightly long trip about 100kms on Sunday, and today's Friday. So, should I get it fixed before the trip or is this something that can be delayed?
4) Any other thing that may need to be fixed or replaced, while the mechanic/technician fixes the O-Ring?

Thanks, dude!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
5) After a little while, and two short turbo-boosted stints later, the noise seemed to disappear...

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I had a tap noise [mainly at startup] after about 10,000 km with the new engine and I just thought I would wait awhile and do tappets after it was all bedded in

well I had it in for service years later and old timer mechanic [knows his stuff] pointed out it was exhaust manifold leak [sounds just like tappet]

so I would check that

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
That's a good pointer.

Yes, i will get it checked as well!

Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can put it off till you get back from your trip.
What happens is that the oil bleads back down and the tapping you hear is from the oil pressure not being built up yet.Thats why it goes away shortly after start up.

I say it can wait till you get back because if you go on vacation and leave the car sit for 2 weeks and come back and start it you will have the same noise.

When cars sit for a period of time it will happen.

Long term it will wear the bearings in the engine.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I'll be driving there. And the whole journey should take like at most 100kms one-way so probably like 200kms two-way.

When you said long-term, like how long? 6 months? One year?

Thanks, dude!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts