Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Second question from newbie Volvo S40 owner (1999 V)

I find the S40 ride good on a nice road but definately a bit unsmooth on averga eroads. Does seem to like several local bumps that my |Saab 9-5 used to take readily in its stride.

My Volvo is a high mileage example 135,000 on a V plate and if a bit of a harsh ride is normal then I will stop worrying about whether I need to replace shocks.

Thanks

Dave

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Most of the time it is a pretty good ride.With the high milage you might want to have them checked for weakness.most of the time if you can push down and it does more that just come back up it is bad.Example If you push down hard and it bounces a couple of times before it stops they are bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please see my Topic 'Hard ride'. I seem to have the same problem as yourself. It does drive you mad, doesn't it. Try underinflating your tyres and see if it makes any difference. If you find the solution please let me know ([email protected])
Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garage checked mine and did find excessive movement in the front top strut mounts. There is a kit which can be used to replace three components at the top of each strut. Will be going in soon to get done, so will report back if it makes any difference. I think the low profile tyres on mine might be contributing too.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes low profile tires will give you a little rougher ride.I have been through it many times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my S40 inyo the garage to have my exhaust checked (thought it was blowing). Whilst there I asked the mechanic to check my shock absorbers etc as I also felt the ride was poor. He said all was OK but sprayed right up the shockers and anti roll bar with silicone spray. I wouldn't say it is a revelationary change but the ride is definitely better (or is it in the mind). It doesn't cost much to try!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drive a 2004 S60 and the ride is the same as yours. It took a bit of adjusting coming from a Nissan Infiniti which drives very smooth even on rough roads. Might be the body was made more stiff for the sake of safety but compromised on ride quality through.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My S70 is doing the same. It rides smooth on good roads, but when the roads are rough, so is the ride. The shocks are so stiff, you can feel every bump. I definately expected a much smoother ride when I bought it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts