Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi gang, ok let me start by letting u know what my 86 540gl wagon has been doing it will out of the blu just shut off.all most in the same spot going to work and coming home.i have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump realy,new wiring harness,new pick up coil in the dist. ,new pin spacers in the controll mog.cleanes all the contacks on the dist.so i tried somthing new i let the car idel for about 10 min befor going to work and amazing it did not shutoff.i did the same on the way home and it did not shut off,could this be the temp sensor doing this.i bought a new temp sensor but cant seam to find a way to put it on with out taking off the hole intake manifold off. i need your help on this please im going nuts i love my baby when its running it purrs like a kitten and runs verry well thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is a pain but you can replace the sensor without removing the intake.

Did you also check the engine speed sensor?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its a 86 does not have a speed sensor,but its verry strang that i can let it run for about 10 min. first and it will not die out.ok tell me how i can replace the temp sensor whith out taking off the intake manifold,i can see yhe sensor but can not put my hand on it. P.S will a temp sensor cause the motor to shut off like its not getting spark,somtimes it starts right back up somtimes it takes a while.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I don't think it will make it die like no spark.

I think you have a power stage problem or soemthing like that.

You have to have small hands and be able to move them good.Then you can get to the sensor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i took my dremal tool and cleaned all of the terimal contacks.even the main 25 amp fuse holder.and it still shuts off,but if i let it warm up for about 10 min. it does fine and does not shut off.im at a blank help help help

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Does it happen when you let your foot off the gas and it is supposed to return to idle?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no it shuts off driving i dont thing its fuel, i think its a elect.but its strang if i let ir idel for about 10 min befor i start out it will not shut off.thats why i think it has do do with temp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts