Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experience any tappet sounding noise from your engine. The noise was just like when you were a kid you stuck a piece of paper in your bike wheel and it happened as quick as snapping your fingers.
Three different mechnics said they thought is was a tappit that had dried up.The 1996 2.3 engine has had its full synthetic oil changed sometimes every 3000miles.(engine now 9600) .
The local garages would not look at the car because of special tools required.
The car is now with volvo and they reckon that a small end had gone but they haven't strippid it down yet.?.
Any comments.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have they checked the oil pan o-rings yet?The o-rings are starting to go bad and causing oil pressure to drop.Then it causes the tapping noise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Volvo said it sounded like the smallends!.
As i had to get the car transported 120 miles what do you do nowhere else to go.?
I told them to strip engine and report back as they suggested.Total bill iv been told is £800 so far.I tried for seconhand engine on the net just one response wrong engine .Phoned a lot of people and they all said they were rarer than hens teeth.
The engine is now up at an engineers shop as the garage has stopped doing that work.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Usually a tapping noise is either oil pan o-rings or lifters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what i was informed and it was my own impression aswell having rebuilt engines myself.(Long time ago).
But like i said volvo garage said it wasn't and as you are just a customer well!.Theres not much you can do if you have to transport a distance and pay for it yourself.
Had volvos for years now (144 on)used to do most thing's myself but circumstances chance.

Is it normal now for main dealers to outsource engine rebuild's now as it used to be done inhouse.It might be different in the states.?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Maybe they wanted to save you some money.We always have done them Inhouse or the customer supplied us with a used engine to install.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 21 2005, 01:26 PM)Maybe they wanted to save you some money.We always have done them Inhouse or the customer supplied us with a used engine to install.
[snapback]3737[/snapback]​

Will post report when job done

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 21 2005, 12:26 PM)Thanks I will be waiting to hear from you.
[snapback]3754[/snapback]​

My car has that noise. it only happens when I first start it up. For only about 1 second.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Most likely the oil pan o-rings.
QUOTEMy car has that noise. it only happens when I first start it up. For only about 1 second.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 22 2005, 08:40 PM)Most likely the oil pan o-rings.
[snapback]3832[/snapback]​

Some more info for you!. They have stripped down engine and they say that the engine needs a rebore as the top end is worn !.All bearings and shafts A1.If that is the case why bother putting the best of oil etc.To do the job now is in excess of £2000 + vat thats $3800.I would have been better putting in a volvo exchange unit as they are not going to do the head because that will cost more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 23 2005, 06:53 PM)Man that sucks I hope they know what they are talking about.
[snapback]3892[/snapback]​

I hope they know as well because i will just have to pay whatever!!.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 23 2005, 10:46 PM)Keep me updated and let me know if they find anything else.
[snapback]3903[/snapback]​

Will do

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Tech.Just to let you know im still waiting for main dealers to say they are finished!!!.Will say im started to get annoyed now.Just as well they dont work in F1.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sorry to hear that.They must go to work to sleep at that place.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Wondering if there are any updates for his ordeal...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Last I knew He got the car back after the engine rebuild.
But he just got it back after like 2 months.
That was the last I heard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts