Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 240 for two months now and first the left tail lights were out and now the left brake lights are out. The bulbs are ok because I took the ones from the left and they worked fine on the right side. The wiring seems fine and I have replaced all fuses. Could the circuit board need replaced? The turn signal and backup lights work. I appreciate any suggestions.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Check the circuit board good.They sometimes break where the plug goes onto them.The connections on the plug might also be dirty.If all that checks out replace the circuit board.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've had similar.

Heavy pitting on the metal track where the bulb holder fits on was heavily pitted giving high resistance, resulting in heat, then the plastic board began to melt a little, which gave an even higher resistance contact.

At one point all my lights were working, but I was getting the bulb failiure lamp on the dash. Made me suspect the relay at first.

A bit of a clean up and a blob of solder to give a firmer connection did the job for me.

Stu.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll give that a shot first. The lights come on when I turn the car over so I know all the bulbs and sockets work, but then on the passenger side, only the turn signal works so I was suspecting either the board or maybe the problem is greater than that. Could be a wiring issue.

Anyway, I'll give that a shot.

-Todd

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Todd.

Use a light abraisive paper, such as fine sandpaper or emery cloth, go gentle you don't want to scrub it to death.
When you've got it nice and shiny, you can clean any invisable grease deposits by using a clean cloth dampened with methlyated spirits or surgical alcohol.
This gives a better elecrical connection and if you need to solder, the solder will take to the board better.

Let us know.

Stu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.