Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

looking for advice on S40 purchase. What do you folks recommend for best handling, feel and least amount of turbo lag...the T5 with 6m or auto, FWD or AWD? I have a Subaru WRX and enjoy the feel of the AWD, but not the turbo lag.

Thanks for your help!

Scott

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I wish I could give you the good advise you are looking for.I haven't had much time to drive both to tell you which I like better.If I was buying one I would atleast buy the manual transmission.But that is just me I am not driving happily unless it is a manual transmission car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I know I am conflicting with the other respondant but I would allways go for the Auto. Why, virtually seemless acceleration when I can use it, better in traffic jams, and it would seem less turbo lag as the engine revs don't drop much when it changes gear unlike the manual which can drop right off between gear changes.
Also you can still change gear manually if you want to, but I never feel the need to.
It just my opinion though.

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,

I just bought a 2005 S40 T5 with that 6-speed manual tranny. There is NO turbo lag what so ever. I also went with the FWD, mainly because of the $2000 difference in price, but you also get a little better gas mileage and a little better 0-60. Probably like .2 seconds. The handling is good, but I think with lowering springs it would be a lot better. The ride is great, really smooth and the steering it very responsive. I

As for the Auto geartronic tranny, I haven't heard too many good things about it. I also test drove one and did not like the way it shifted, especially when using the geartronic.

Either way, the S40 is a great car all around and did receive great reviews from the pros. I'd buy one anyday.

Jack

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the S40 T5 AWD with 6M tranny.

I love the car so far. It has great torque, decent handling and gets pretty good fuel economy. I have put 3K miles on it going from TX to MD and back to AL and it netted me 29 MPG with my whole family in it and our luggage.
That was going 75 MPH as often as I could, 80 MPH sometimes.
The manual allows you to cruise at 2800 rpm at 80 mph in 6th gear, keeping the revs down, speed up and of course the engine is quiet at that speed.

I drove the auto but I didn't like the shift points or the lack of response from the throttle. It seems it takes a second after you nail the throttle in the ATX to get the engine to pull. In the manual it is almost instant. There is no turbo lag in this engine either.

I don't like the way they limit the boost as rpm climbs, reducing overall peak power. There is also a small hesitation when you shift really fast during a fast run through the gears.
It could be a poorly designed bypass valve or the drive by wire throttle. I'm not sure and as yet I've done no experimenting with it. If it is the bypass valve then it could be causing the turbo to stall a little during the shift and it takes that split second to get boost back again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I drove my ne S40 T5 6sp in Europe for 2400miles. No turbo lag whatsoever! I have had a couple of VW's with the 1.8T (a 5sp and a auto-tip) They both were VERY sluggish off the line but beautiful on the highway.
The new S40-T5 is sooooooo much better. The variable valve timing, twin-scroll turbo and gearing make this car an excellent auto-bahner and REALYY qwik around town. I love this car!
I agree that the AWD is too heavy and reduces performance significantly. If that car had 30hp+ and 50lb/ft+ - MAYBE.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought the T5 AWD, 6sp.
Prior to this a year ago Volvo Canada sent me on a ride and drive in the S40. At that time they only had the auto's out, it was a great handling car, we had it on the street and the track putting it through its paces.
I have experienced (at different times)the "gear tronic" in the S80's, XC90's, its nice but gimmicky. In just the auto mode it is virtually a seemless shift change. I also did have a chance to drive the S60R with the 6 speed and loved the trani.
The non turbo is pretty quick with good amounts of torque. The T5's turbo lag is pretty much non existant to to the high amount of torque the car has 236 at 1500rpm, this allows the torque to get you moving until the turbo spools up then takes over, and wow does it take over.
The FWD will give you better acceleration(on dry pavement), with the AWD you get hold of somebody on slightly wet or rain and it is a blast, I have yet to spin the tires, not that I need or want too.
Needless to say I love the car it is a pleasure to drive all around. The manual will give you better gas mileage as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts