T4=?
T5=?
T6=?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaaaaaaaaaaah, yessssss... So the "T" part does refer to the 'Turbo' aspect, ya?

I see... I see... I see...

I even tried asking the Volvo dealers at the HQ here, but they are not interested in answering questions from a secondhand purchaser who didn't buy from them...

Maybe they don't even know.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Now i'd assumed the T was turbo and the number was the numer of cylinders (this works for the V70 (T5)and the V40 (T4), but dont know how many cylinders are on a T6)

This could of course just be the assumptions of a mad man

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, does that mean T6 = 6 cylinders?

Just kidding, no offence, please.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I thank you

BTW ampangbear.....
back to you

As a further (maybe boring) observation it would appear that here in the UK, if the "T" follows the engin size in the model label (eg 2.4T) then it donates a low pressure turbo, where as the "Turbo / no of cylinders" format donats the high pressure turbo. Is this the same for other parts of the world?

you can all wake up now

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hang on, I read somewhere that the versions for T4, T5 and T6 denotes High-Pressure Turbos.

And then we know that there are the LPT versions = Low Pressure Turbo also popularly known as Soft-Turbo. As such, would the T letter be known as the Full Turbo versions?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

As such,
The 940 LPT = Low Pressure Turbo
The S40 2.0T = Full Turbo
The 850 T5 = High Pressure Turbo...?

I'm a bit mixed up, myself.

BigBen,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to Volvos but I can tell you that the number has nothing to do with the number of cylinders the engine has. The higher the number, the bigger the turbo is and the more MAX power it will make. If matched to an engine too small in displacement, the turbo takes very long to spool up and there will be turbo lag like in the C70. A small 2.3 liter engine with a T5 (big turbo) has turbo lag. If the same engine had a T2 turbo, it would maybe not have the same MAX power, but you would get your power faster then with a T5. You can buy a T5 turbo seperately for any car. It is not a Volvo term, but rather a turbo term.

Hope this helps,

Anthony.

·
Registered
224 Posts
very interesting Lex, its still a coincidence with the Volvo model names though as the lower pressure models seem to make no reference to the "Tx" reference.

As anyone ever heard an official explanation from Volvo?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You say the letter T followed by the number doesn't mean the cylinders But with the Volvo I think it does look a the S80 turbo.It is only about half as big as the S70 turbo but is a T-6.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess Volvo can choose to have a T5 on 5 Cylinder cars only, and etc., but why not have T5 on ALL five Cylinder turbos? The lesser turbo versions on each car are not even listed by Volvo. They are probably all T1 through T2 or not even. Some turbos even start with "k" for example, and are usually not listed. It is just a coincidence that Volvo does this. The turbo itself, not the car, is called a T5 turbo. True, Volvo 5 cylinder engines may have T5 turbos, etc., but it does not mean that a T5 is a turbo that goes only on 5 Cylinder cars. For example, some one who works with me has an Eclipse turbo with a T3 turbo. And that T3 is an upgrade to the stock turbo he had before-no idea what kind it even was. And the engine is 4 cylinders. Hope this clears stuff up.

Anthony.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you everyone for the education.

Has been VERY informative.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You guys are reading way too much into this. I worked in the dealership for 5 years on the parts counter. Yes "t" does always designate it as a turbo. The 4 5 or 6 designation has something to do with the output of the turbo, however 4 5 or 6 has nothing to do with the cylinders. When you look at your engine configuration (ie 5254t ot 5234t3) this is where from all my experience is where the T" configuraion originated. It was not however carried on from the origianl 850 T5. The S60R has a T2 in the ingine code and we know the kind of power it has. A few of the past models designated by model as a "T5" actually had T3 enigine codes.

So if you aren't completely confused by now you should be, trust me a lot of what Volvo does will not make sense, they do build a great car though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.