Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004.5 S40 T5 only has 2,000 miles, but I'm wondering about using synthetic oil when I get to the 7,500 mile service. Also wondering about changing oil more frequently. My Volvo service rep says it makes no difference whether I use synthetic oil or not. Volvo's on-line tech service recommends synthetic oil for severe loads or conditions. Both say I should stick to 7,500 mile intervals. I have heard good things about synthetic oil and I am willing to spend the extra $$ if it improves performance or extends the service life of the engine. I have also heard from turbo owners that more frequent oil changes are a good idea. Has anyone done research or heard from experts on these questions? By the way, the car is awesome. Thanks for any help.
alderaan

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Do you have the free factory service till 30k?I would use the synthetic oil.You will be ok with doing the services every 7,500.You can do then eariler if you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Nov 26 2004, 06:02 PM)Do you have the free factory service till 30k?I would use the synthetic oil.You will be ok with doing the services every 7,500.You can do then eariler if you want.
[snapback]1336[/snapback]​

Yes, I have the free service till 30k, but I don't think that covers synthetic oil. So I guess I will pay the difference between dino oil and synthetic. Thanks for the advice. How did a Mustang guy wind up moderating a Volvo board?
alderaan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Nov 26 2004, 08:18 PM)Because fixing Volvo's is my day job.
[snapback]1339[/snapback]​

Does your experience lead you to recommend any particular synthetic oil? Are there any negatives besides the cost? Would I have to worry about leaking seals when my Volvo hits middle age? I've heard that could be a problem in older cars using synthetic, but maybe that's only after switching from dino oil. Thanks for your help and for doing this forum.
alderaan

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
At work all we use is semisynthetic or synthetic oil.Haven't had any problems yet.Seals will leak with age no matter what oil is used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got to tell you Tech...

I just found out about this forum. I've been using a bunch of the other Volvo forums for a few years now. Anyway, your advice is great. No other forum has such technical advice...it's very helpful to have a certified volvo mechanic to answer our questions.

Thanks...and glad I joined.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you choose non-synthetic oil it seems that it would be a good idea to change the oil at about the 3500-4000 mark depending on your driving habits, but with the synthetic oil Volvo swears that 7500 is the magic number. I am going to go with the synthetic but may change the oil more often...we'll see at about 3k.

By the way, I second the "thanks for all of the advice" sentiment. It is very good to have a mechanic on the board

1 - 9 of 9 Posts