Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. It is my first post here. I just purchased a set of Febi sway bar links on-line for my 98' S70 GLT. Can someone tell me the torque values so I don't overtorque? Also, I purchased an oil seal for the turbo becasue it leaks a little oil. How difficult is it to replace it? I am very handy with cars. One more thing, the car has 91k miles and I want to replace the timing belt. Can someone please point me to a link with instructions or perhaps just give a few pointers on this topic. Thank you for your help.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Don't worry about torque specs for the sway bar links.
You will need them tight.

The turbo return line o-rings is easy to replace.You might have to bend a cooling line a little to slide the pipe out.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ic/ic60326.htm
See if this link helps for the timing belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx a lot for you reply. The replacement of sway bar links was vey easy. There is still some rattle movement in front wheels when I start breaking at high speeds (rotors and pads had been replaced already). I want to replace the sway bar bushings now.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Do you also get a clunking noise when hitting a bump?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't hear a clunking noise. However, specially on one RR crossing, the feel of bump is very hard, like there is no amortization at all. Otherwise, smaller bumps are ok. At first I thought my struts went bad until I discovered that the sway bar links are bad. I went for the less expensive repair first
urni
My CE light came on yesterday. Is there an easy way to check for the codes? In older BMW, I can turn the ignition key to ON position and hit a break pedal once and than I can read light blinks on a dashbard. Thx.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No easy waty to read codes you will need a scanner.

Next you should check the upper spring seats.
You can do that by getting a 13/16 wrench and trying to turn the nut on the top of the strut.If it turns the spring seat is bad.If it feels rubbery then it is good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked at the local AutoZone and they rent out OBD-II scanners.

I checked the upper spring seats and they feel rubbery when I try to turn the nut on top. It seems that the top part of the rubber bushing turns a little, but the lower part of the same bushing brings it back.

Thanks again for your response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts