Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here had their 850 TDI superchipped? If so can you tell me the result? If anyone thinks it's not advisable, please let me know!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Tech, I'll give them a try - though I don't suppose I'll be buying anything from them since they're in Portland, Oregon and I'm in Cambridge, England and I think the shipping costs might be prohibitive even with our £ being obscenely strong against your $ at the moment

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I don't know of anyone else that might sell one.The deisel might be hard to find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found one that looks as though it might be the answer, in Norwich, 60 miles from where I live. Will post results in due course. You don't really do diesel cars much in the States do you? Over here about 35% (I believe) of new car sales are diesel-engined, the numbers on the road even higher

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi, a mate at work had his diesel Audi chipped last year and absolutly loves the results.....BIG gains in BHP and torque. Cost him aroud £400 i think though cant remember name of company at the moment. The advertising bumph recommended a health check of the engine first if it has already covered high milage (i think say 70K +)

As for diesel 850's, a family member bought a W reg a few months back and loves it. Especialy when he gets 40MPG with a 1.5Tonne caravan on the back. The vehicle is stunning and one of the many reasons i am looking at an 850 soon.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
We have only heard of the diesel 850's here in the U.S. but never seen them.I wonder why most cars here are avalible in diesel as well.Volvo should think about marketing Diesel's here in the U.S.

·
Registered
224 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 16 2005, 11:27 PM)We have only heard of the diesel 850's here in the U.S. but never seen them.I wonder why most cars here are avalible in diesel as well.Volvo should think about marketing Diesel's here in the U.S.
[snapback]3471[/snapback]​

Diesel became realy big over here (UK) a few years back, probably due to sky high petrol prices and company car tax rules. Also in recent years the technology has been refined to new levels making them an all round better car. The fat torque curve also makes them a much more relaxed drive.

Many new Diesel cars are now capable of 55mpg+

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I useed to love our Volkswagon Rabbit diesel that we had back in the early 90's.That car was awesome.It got about 40 mpg and I would take that car anywhere I wasnted to.I used to use that car as a 4X4 and drive it in the MUD.It was great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, I've decided against the cheaper plug-in option and will now be going for the full ECU remapping as done by Adam of volvo-tuning, see his posts on this forum. He will also upgrade the suspension on all 4 corners of my poor old 850 estate so I'm no longer driving on ROCKS! I'll tell you all about it when it's done, in the next week or two, but am really looking forward to it all.

Diesel is great! I've had diesel Skodas, Mercs, Volvos and would never go back to petrol (as we quaintly call it over here), especially with our prices. Diesel in the US is mostly associated with trucks, vans &c and with gas 1/4 the price it is here, why would any car company bother to market diesel cars there? Diesel car mechanics are as rare as hens teeth in the US anyway. Cadillac tried a few years back with a V8 diesel where first 2, then 4 cylinders cut out as the car gathered speed and momentum, but it was apparently an engineering nightmare and quietly disappeared before long. They are going the dual electric/petrol route now, it seems to me, witness the Toyota Prius which is a roaring success, in Beverley Hills at any rate I'm told you can't afford to be seen without one on your drive ... Enuff !

·
Registered
1 Posts
This being my first day and first post, most likely should not be pointing fault, but the 4 6 8 caddy was a gasoline power plant that utilized early Pac Man era electronics to activate the multi displacement engine ...now a hot NEW idea in the automotive world.... and the diesel was a converted 350 gasoline unit that GM built and sold in large numbers in most of their car lines Olds . Pontiac, Cad, Chevy trucks etc... Large numbers,that is, until they all turned to Shite...A very strong possibility for low Diesel acceptance Stateside.. The 5.7 Diesel as it was known turned thousands upon thousands off the compression ignition powerplant...also the terribly under powerd 260 cubic inch Olds Diesel was available for a short time that offered performance that made the 22 second @63 mph 5.7 engine seem like the latetest 911 model...0-60 in one afternoon.... Also california, the nutty bastards that lead the nation in many things automotive has seen fit to promelgate near draconian rules for diesel powered automobiles... BTW nice site hope to lurk and soak up 850 turbo stuff...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts