Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new 05 S60 T5. Love the car, but was driving down the highway doing about 75 and the sunroof exploded! Nothing hit me...it just shattered. Looking at it from the outside, it looked as if something was thrown through the glass from the inside as the glass that was left was pushing outward. My dealer repaired the damage at no charge, but I must say it left me a little concerned about the sunroof going forward.

Anyone else seen issues like this? I did some searching on google and found some instances of similar issues, most of which happened while the vehicle was parked.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
I would think that the instances where the vehicle was parked that it had something to do with the temperature inside the car, although that's just a guess. As far as while driving, I've never heard of that happening. Most likely it was just a bad piece of glass that you wont have to worry continuously about the next one doing the same thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually, I was on the highway in my 04 s60 the other day, about 70mph with the drivers window only down. The sunroof was closed, but somehow it was windy enough that I could hear the sunroof catching air and the entire roof of the car sort of making a popping noise. Imagine pushing down on some thin metal and having it pop up again, that's what the roof was doing. It was alarming enough that i shut the window and decided to use air conditioning, I really though the sunroof would blow out.

Adding to my lack of confidence in the car's body, only a few days after the sunroof scare i was driving down a fairly bumpy road and the drivers door popped open from full closed (not all the way, it was held by the emergency latch). Wierd and scary for such a new car.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
QUOTE(zactx @ Nov 3 2005, 02:27 PM)Wierd and scary for such a new car.
[snapback]17681[/snapback]​

Was it something wrong with the door, or just a freak thing?

That useless bracket in the sunroof is starting to come loose on mine, I think. When I open it to the back, there is a metallic pop when it stops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my left rear passenger window. I think it is a flaw in the glass and under the right circumstances (Temp, wind, body flex, etc) the glass "lets go"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts