Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 Volvo 760 turbo that won't allow me to turn the ignition or wheels. I haven't had any problems and there was not indication of any key wear. Is there some sort of sequence of moving the gear lever, steering wheel, anything that will free the ignition. The key inserts fine and starts the dinger if the door is open and I've also sprayed wd40 in the cylinder.

Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
My guess is the lock portion of the cylinder broke and is staying locked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood. I'll take out the cylinder myself and install a new one. No hassles to use one key to open the door and another to start it.

I'm trying to remove the top and bottom steering column covers and have removed two phillips screws on the bottom cover. There appears to be 5 other screws similar to a star or allan wrench type, though my allan wrenches or star drives won't fit. Is there a special tool I'll need from my volvo dealer? I'm assuming they don't make this easy to deter car theft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Volvo love to use "torx" screws but before you try again have a closer look at the center of the screw head and see if their is a little pin in their if so its a security torx and you will need a driver with a hole in the center to fit it

Hope this helps.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Here is what I do.I don't drill them.
First take a small center puch to what looks like screws with no heads.Try tapping them to get them loose.Sometimes you can get them loose and other times no go.

If that is the case then I take a chisle and cut the top peice as much as I can on both sides.

Then firmly take the hammer in your hand and get ready and then WACK the bottom section where the lock cylinder is and it should finish breaking and fall off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've looked for the screws, per another suggestion, and can't seem to find them. Do you have any type of photos of clearer explanation? Also, the cylinder is inside a gold casing. Does this casing get removed?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes the entire casing will need to be removed.

If you can't get the key to work at all you will need to replace the entire assembly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, called four locksmiths and no one would do the job. I drilled the lock out myself, which isn't the easiest, but is doable with some patience. Go with high speed drill bits increasing size. I pried out pieces of the lock with a single jaw of my adjustable pliers until I could get to the lock clip. I pricked the lock clip with a small screwdriver until it broke. The lock slid right out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, yes, was able to break enough of the old lock away, brake the clip and pull the lock out. The mechanism to unlock the wheels worked fine, I inserted the new lock cylinder and reassembled the covers on the sterring column. The lock was set to take my old keys and we're back in business.

Lock $53.00, drill bits (some broken) $23.00. I'm sure if I had the car towed in to a dealer the bill would have exceeded $500.00.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. Any suggestions about where to find the parts?

At the moment, my key only unlocks the passenger door and the trunk, but will not turn the ignition or unlock the driver's side door ... so, even better, any suggestion about where to find a set of lock cylinders?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The dealer provided the new lock cylinder. You'll need to provide the car vin number and they'll order a new one with an additional key. This way all the other keys still operate the locks.

I only had the ignition cylinder problem and if your door is not accepting the key, I would start by ordering a new key from the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm experiencing this same issue with a 1990 760T. Dealership is telling me that I need a whole new steering column since the key will not turn to the first position, at a cost of $2400!
I plan to have the car towed back to my house for free (GO AAA!) and I'll order a new cylinder for the same keys and try to do it myself. Any tips on getting the old one out and the new one in, other than what you already mentioned? Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Start with a small bit and proceed larger. Get a high speed drill and some good sharp bits. The surrounding cylinder case which is part of the steering column is pretty hard so once you start making progress take a strong chisel type instrument and pry out pieces of the cylinder lock. When I located the small clip spring, I was able to break it with needle nose plyers. With the clip spring broken, the cylinder slid right out of the casing. don't go to deep into the cylinder casing. Look at the new cylinder and determine the safe distance to drill in.

Just patience and elbow grease should save some dough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie here, but this is my exact problem. My steering wheel is locked and I can not turn the key at all. I have tried using lubrication and two other keys.

I have a 1988 Volvo 760 Turbo.

I would like to attempt to fix it on my own, but the dealer around here is telling me he can only get the ignition assembly for $223.77. I was wondering where else I could get the coded ignition locking cylinder?

Even the part number would be helpful because then I could give that to the dealer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts