Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had some probs with starting my s40 2001 1.8. It has started normally on the button the hole time I have had it. Just recently only now and then I it takes a little longer to start around 4 secs??? doesn't seem to matter whether its cold or hot?? It has a full main dealer service history so everything has been changed when it should.

The second problem started the other day is when I turn the key in the ignition sometimes the imobiliser doesn't deactivate and the light with a car and an x across it flashes rather than remaing solid to indicate the imobiliser has been deactivated??

any sugestions tech??

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The first issue check with the dealer and see if your car fits within the range for the speed sensor Sheild.That helps make the car start faster.There is interferance sometimes to the sensor.The sheild blocks the interferance.

Second problem when it happens try taking the key out and turning it the opposite way and see if it starts normlly.If it does either or both the key and antenna ring are bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks:
The car is four years old so out of warranty so will I have to pay for this shield??

I accept that the problem with imobiliser is wear and tear but why should I pay for the shield!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and another quick question is the sheild for the starter motor?

and anothe question changing the subject can you fit a 2.0 T / T4 exhaust to a 1.8?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No the sheild goes around the engine speed sensor.

Im not sure about the exhaust how much if it are you going to bolt up?
Im not sure if the flange on the turbo is the same but the pipe should be the same size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts