Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have had a 1998 V40 1.8GDI from new with 75000 miles. Has been a great runner and very reliable. Recently it has started making a very loud, high pitched squeal when started from cold. The noise lasts for about 10 seconds then dies away. Other than usual GDI rattles, the car runs perfectly - any ideas?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hi there. Could be the accessories belt. Is it tensioned correctly (they slowly stretch over a long period)? Does the belt look cracked or dried? If so, it's time to replace it - mileage is about right for replacement anyway.

Short-term fix might be to CAREFULLY spray a little WD40 oil onto the belt while the engine is ticking over - try to avoid touching moving parts of course (& too much overspray) - sometimes quietens down an old belt until you get time to replace it. Try not to spray too much on - only a little is needed & too much may make the belt slip slightly under acceleration for the first day or so.

Good luck curing it!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Aaahhh, after the accessories belt was replaced, was it ever re-tensioned? You should always re-tension a new accessories belt after 1,000 miles or so.

Try this first, as WD40 trick might not be needed & won't cure a loose belt.....

Do let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
As always Tech, I humbly bow to your superior knowledge - I wasn't aware that the tensioner for the (outer) drivebelt for the power steering pump & air conditioning compressor is spring-loaded. Have just checked my Haynes manual & it does not show a spring. Whether manual or spring loaded, if total deflection is 10mm to 12mm midway along the top run of this belt then it is correctly tensioned.

However, I am not aware that the separate (inner) alternator drivebelt has an automatic tensioner & if I'm right then I believe that it would be prudent to check the tension & condition of this belt & if all else fails then try a little WD40 on it to see if it cures the noise - if it does then BerksV40 will have identified the source.

The mornings in Berkshire are beginning to get damper, cooler & darker now so the alternator belt is a prime suspect. The alternator drivebelt is correctly tensioned when there is a maximum total deflection of 10mm to 12mm midway between the 2 pulleys.

Also, if there are black, rubbery deposits on the pulley wheels that either of these 2 belts run on, then these should be carefully cleaned off without damaging the pulley surfaces - "elbow grease" & a little white spirit should do the trick.

Other possible sources could be the water pump or even the power steering pump (check fluid level), but I would concentrate on the belts first.

Have just re-read posts & realised that it is the CAMbelt that was changed, the accessories belts are not mentioned as having been renewed. Suggest that BerksV40 ensures that these were renewed at the same time as the cambelt AND, very importantly, that the cambelt tensioner was renewed at the same time as the cambelt.

Thanks Tech, I most certainly know where to come for good advice if my Volvo ever needs some t.l.c.!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can't see the spring in the tensioner but it is all hidden.

Even the manual timing belt tensioner has a small bit of spring loaded tension on it.It is a weird design but works pretty good.

Next time you go into by your timing belt give it a little tug and look at the tesnioner by where the little needle looking thing is and you should see it move some when you pull the belt.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Cheers Tech. The last timing belt I changed was on a relative's 944 Porsche 2 months ago and it was a b"*ch to hook-up properly, what with balancer shafts & all! I doubt you've ever seen looser "properly" tensioned belts in your life!

I'm no pro, just a keen amateur.

Accept your advice without question, will keep eyes open for those hidden spring s*!kers when working on a Vvo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, well I tried the WD40 on the accessories belt, it has worked for now. The car has done 75,000 miles and looking at the service sheets, the belt on the GDI needs changing at 80,000 anyway.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Great, at least you know which part is causing the noise, probably nothing more serious than an aging/worn accessories belt.

The WD40 is only a temporary fix of course!

If the noisy belt is the one that runs the alternator, it might be worth getting the alternator output & battery condition checked, especially with autumn & winter on the way. Many places will make these checks free of charge for you. A failing alternator or battery can make the alternator work harder & cause its drivebelt to slip, especially on start-up.

Glad to have been of assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts