Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone here can help me as I am having zero luck anywhere else. I have a 1993 Volvo 240 (automatic) with about 135,000 miles on it. About a year and a half ago it started stalling. I have had 3 mechanics look at it and they all say it looks great. It seems to stall when I am going less than 5 miles an hour if my foot isn't on the gas or brake. Like if I am backing out of a parking space I have to put the gas on quickly so that it doesn't stall. It stalls more often if the air conditioner is on (which I try not to use as it causes the car to almost overheat if it is really hot outside). Also, sometimes when I am driving at high speeds it jerks a little every few seconds. I'm not sure if this is related. I have had the idle air motor replaced about a year ago. The only thing that seems to work is if the idle is turned up, but even when this is done the stalling problem comes back in a few months. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them the best I can!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
How does the engine harness look?
Did you have the throttle body cleaned lately?
How does the speed sensor look?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hm. I'm not really sure about any of those things! I do know that my spedometer is about 5-7 miles off if that means anything.

Also, my check engine light is always on and after taking it to a Volvo shop, they determined that the computer was broken and it wasn't worth replacing. Could this have any effect on the engine?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes it could.Try to find one in a local salvage yard in your area.You will need the numbers off of your to match up to make sure you get the right one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts