Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my rear breaks done last week on my 97 850 at an indie garage, new rotors and pads. Now my breaks are squeeling. I have read about using the right shims so the brakes don't squeel, is there a way to tell if the shop used the right shims, or any shims at all? The mech said he used OEM parts, but the rotors are drilled. I went back to the shop, and the mech said to drive it for the rest of the week, and if it is still squeeling bring it back. He said it is squeeling because of the metal in the pads...It seems to be getting worse as I drive.
Any Thoughts?
Thanks
Russ

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I am not a techie, but anything that make noise that wasn't there in the first place, will definitely see me sending the car back to the mechanic. What more if it may just affect braking performance... (I don't know if this is true either, just trying to scare you...
)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Depending on the calpiers you have on your car.They should have used either a half shim or a full shim.If you look in through the wheel at the pads you might be able to see if the shims are in there.It might be easier to see using a mirror in there.The Volvo pads come with a rubber pad on the back of the pad glued to it.The shim is like a crome flat shim.Most of the time the shims are sold seperatly.Als make sure the pads were greased really good between the back of the pad an the caliper.The Volvo pads very rarely squeek or squeal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amp the brakes work fine, the just howl like a banshee at the end of the stop, or if I am in stop and go slow traffic. Its great, I can see people wincing in the car next to me...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have them look at it and ask if they installed the shims.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Find out what brand of pads were used. I would recommend using Metalmaster brand. They are guarented not to squeel,fade or create brake dust. I use them on my 850 and no noises.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Is it ceramic? Price?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts