Volvo Owners Forum banner

Sirius satellite radio?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  clbolt 
#1 ·
Is Sirius satellite radio actually available for the S40? I'm looking at purchasing a 2005 S40 T5 AWD, and I can't seem to find out if Sirius is available for it. I couldn't find any mention of it on the Volvo website, and the dealer didn't even know for sure, and suggested that I go with an aftermarket system. But I'd rather have an "invisible" factory-installed system.

#2 ·
I was at the dealership today (free car wash...I could not resist). I was told that Sirius is going to be an option but it may be a dealer option. It may be like the subwolfer option that is made by Volvo but installed at the dealer My local dealer said they should have paperwork on it in a week or two.

#3 ·
QUOTE(niko05 @ Feb 21 2005, 10:34 PM)... is going to be an option but it may be a dealer option. ...

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if I went and bought an S40 tomorrow, would I be able to get Sirius installed (without going aftermarket)?

#5 ·
I spoke to a Volvo dealer yesterday and was told that Sirius would not be available for the S40. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, does anyone have a good, clean solution for adding Sirius to a 2005 S40 without replacing the factory stereo? I also want to avoid have the satellite tuner sitting on the dash.

Thanks!

Scott

#6 ·
I guess you're pretty much stuck on Sirius as your satellite provider, huh? Bummer, I could give you the link to a great deal on an XM setup. I've been an XM subscriber for 2 and a half years and love it. The only thing I'd like to see added would be NPR, which may happen if the rumored XM/ Sirius merger happens.

And no, unless Sirius comes out with an interface to your existing radio, you won't be able to do an invisible installation. With a little talent, however, the impact on your dash could be minimal.

#7 ·
I have had Sirius for about a year in my Explorer and love it but I would not rule out XM if I could get a cleaner install. Please pass on the XM info...it would be much appreciated.

I did get a bit more information this evening that now leads me to believe that Volvo will eventually have a Sirius upgrade available for the S40. The guy at the dealership thinks it will be 6 months or so until it is available. It would be nice to have the option of going with either provider.

Scott

#8 ·
Go to xmradio.com/partners , and enter the code xmbbxm03 . For an add-on to an existing radio, I'd recommend the XM Commander, at $49. You'll have to commit to 6 months of service.

I bought the Commander through that link at Christmas to replace my old Pioneer 903. The new receivers and antennas work much better, and the antenna is almost invisible, it's so small.

#9 ·
QUOTE(clbolt @ Mar 9 2005, 08:11 PM)I guess you're pretty much stuck on Sirius as your satellite provider, huh? Bummer, I could give you the link to a great deal on an XM setup. I've been an XM subscriber for 2 and a half years and love it. The only thing I'd like to see added would be NPR, which may happen if the rumored XM/ Sirius merger happens.

I was an XM subscriber for nearly two years. About a month ago XM cancelled the station I listened to about 97% of the time, in the middle of the night, with no notice whatsoever -- to subscribers or even to the DJs.

That's why I'm switching to Sirius.

#10 ·
QUOTE(timbck2 @ Mar 13 2005, 10:58 AM)I was an XM subscriber for nearly two years. About a month ago XM cancelled the station I listened to about 97% of the time, in the middle of the night, with no notice whatsoever -- to subscribers or even to the DJs.

That's why I'm switching to Sirius.
[snapback]5005[/snapback]​

You might want to rethink your decision to switch to Sirius, if that's your reason. The rumors of an upcoming merger between XM and Sirius have taken a decidedly more serious turn with XM's announcement of new subscription rates that coincidentally are exactly those of Sirius. I figure there will be only one satellite radio prodider within a year.

BTW, what was the channel they yanked?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.