Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S90 signal lights are frozen! Only the right indicator is constantly ON and moving the signal arm doesn't do squat! I checked all the typical fuses and relays (interior and engine compartments) and all are good. The bulbs themselves look fine as well. The lights on the passenger side are bright as if signaling without the flashing and the driver side lights are normal light intensity.
Activating the hazard switch does nothing. What is going on? Is this a common problem? Any help/suggestions is much appreciated as this makes driving in traffic a hazardous situation.

Thanks!!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Remove the right front bulb look at the bottom of the bulb.Alot of time with age the contacts will wear and melt till they both touch,That will cause the light to stay on all the time like you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had the same problem on my S90, and thanks to your experience, I saved time and money. I just joined the forum, and look forward to taking advantage of this new resource.

I also have a V90, which has a small problem that maybe someone can supply me with information, if not a solution.

When I shift the tranny into low, the "check engine" light goes on and will stay on for about a month before it shuts off. I suspect there may be something wrong with the low gear, however it works fine. I just don't use the low gear anymore to avoid seeing that annoying light. Does anyone know what gives?

I have a second problem with my S90. When the car is cold, it usually takes two efforts to start her up, unless I turn the ignition to the on position and wait about 10 seconds before I crank it up. Could this be a problem with the cold start relay or valve?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The V90 sounds like a bad PNP switch Park Nuetral Position sensor.

The S90 sounds like the fuel pump is starting to go bad.It is losing residual pressure.You might want to get ahold of a fuel pressure guage and hook it up and let it sit over night it should hold pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Raising this post from the dead.

I've noticed others having similar problems. On one post, someone was asking where the Hazard Relay is - I too looked for this when my turn signals did not function.

After some googling, I found the following recall (albeit dated a while back) on a 1998 s70 (didn't know they had a '98 S70) :

Campaign Number: 00V405000 Date: 2000-Dec-06

Component: Exterior Lighting: Turn Signal
Defect Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. THERE COULD BE INADEQUATE CONTACT BETWEEN THE BULB AND SOCKET WHICH COULD CAUSE THE FRONT TURN SIGNAL NOT TO FUNCTION AS DESIGNED.
Consequence Summary: THIS WOULD FAIL TO WARN AN APPROACHING DRIVER THAT THE VEHICLE IS TURNING AND COULD LEAD TO A CRASH.
Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT TURN SIGNAL BULB AND SOCKET.

So, it appears the dealer will replace the bulb AND socket for freebie.

I'll still change only the bulbs and see if that works for my current problem just to keep from going through the hassle with a dealer.

Source for above information (and more recalls): http://www.dmv.org/recalls.php

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.