Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to access the side position lights on the bumpers of the S40 so I can change the bulbs. There are no details in the manual, it only says to get your dealer to change any that are unaccessable. Thanks!
Technoi

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 S40, the rear (red) side position lights can be accessed from in the rear wheel well, remove the screws along the trailing edge of the well liner and you can get to them there. On my car, those lights are LED, not conventional filiment type bulbs and they are a sealed unit (no actual bulb to replace). LED's have an exceptionally long life, and are not as prone to vibration or anything like that. When one of mine wasn't working, I accessed it and found that the wiring connection/plug had just come loose. I plugged it back in and it has worked fine ever since. Good luck, hope I was able to help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to say this, but the side lights AREN'T LEDs !!! They are actually very small bulbs with small power (1.2W maximum), and they are connected through 2 to for diodes to the wiring. At least that's what I discovered when I gently removed the sealing with a screwdriver.
So the operation was - remove the side light, remove the sealant, take off the bulb, replace with another, put everything back and reseal with hot plastic, put the side light back again, everything's fine now.

Hope this helps !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts