Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two rivets fell off from the inside of my driver's side mirror. Hence, the side mirror cover is not fixed firmly, and it will move around. I would like to use an epoxy type adhesive to glue the cover and mirror frame. But, I need to remove the glass in the side mirror first. I found the following instruction from the http://borton.com/

Removing the mirror glass
1. Fold the mirror glass forwards and inwards as illustrated.
2. Grasp and pull the mirror glass lengthways until it releases.
3. Work the glass out.
4. Disconnect the terminal pins from the mirror glass.

But, I don't understand step 2, "Grasp and pull the mirror glass lengthways until it releases." I grabbed the glass, and pull out in the horizontal outward direction. But, nothing happened. Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The link didn't work to link me to the mirror removal.I usaully push the mirror I believe it is foward.Then look behind it and where they meet I use a pocket screwdriver to pop it apart.The step 2 you were asking about the mirror slides behind the motor then lock on the opposite side.It is kind of hard to explain without being there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, again. I am very sorry about the link. Click the http://borton.com/ and then click the "PARTS ONLINE" in the side menu. Click the little picture window which has a wheel, and little auto part boxes on right side. Use a middle wheel in your mouse to scroll down until you see the "SPOTLIGHT - European Standard Wide Angle Glass". The instructions can be displayed by clicking the "Installation and Removal Instruction - Click here:" in the "2004 -> S80/60 LH wide angle glass NOW here! $60.49". The instructions in VADIS were exactly the same shown in the borton. The instructions were not clear at all. I called borton to talk with a part salesperson, but he did know this, either.

I may ask a dealer technician here to pull out the glass since I need to adjust my parking brake.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is S40 side mirror glass removal instructions.

1. Press in the mirror glass at (A) as far as possible on one side.
2. Pull the glass out through the mounting by lifting the mounting pins.
3. Carefully remove the connector from the mirror glass.

I don't know whether I can use this to remove a S80 mirror glass. Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The S40 mirrors are diffrent.I will try to search online and get a picture so I can mark it and send to you.Let me see what I can find.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The followings are for S40 from year 2004. The S40 instructions were much more clear and easier to follow. It seems someone who don't know anything about cars translated from Swedish to English for S80 manuals.

1. Fold the mirror glass backwards and inwards.
2. Grip the mirror glass. Pull the mirror glass out/backward until it releases from the outer mounting.
3. Then press the glass carefully into the door mirror housing. Do not allow the glass to engage in the catch.
4. Unhook the mirror glass from the inner mounting.
5. Disconnect the terminal pins from the mirror glass. It looks like S40 is better than S80.

I still don't know whether I can use this to remove my S80 side mirror glass. Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I inserted a picture where the blue line is that is where I install the screwdriver and pop the mirror glass out CAREFULLY.Where the red line is is where the glass tucks behind the mirror motor first.(step 2)That is installing it goes behind there first then you push on the other side to snap in CAREFULLY not to break the mirror.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I inserted a picture where the blue line is that is where I install the screwdriver and pop the mirror glass out CAREFULLY.Where the red line is is where the glass tucks behind the mirror motor first.(step 2)That is installing it goes behind there first then you push on the other side to snap in CAREFULLY not to break the mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I was able to pull out the glass by prying out the glass with a little screw driver while pulling the glass in the horizontal lenghway. I glued the frame and the cover with an epoxy-based adhesive. I can save $400 if this works out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How can I take out a back mirror cover that matchs a body color paint? I can drill out the original rivets if an epoxy-based adhesive doesn't work out. I can use little over size steel rivets with a right size washer if I can take out the mirror cover. A guy at the dealer told me, I can get $300 for a side mirror body which contains a rotor, position light, and wire. $75 for mirror glass and $75 for a colored cover that matches body painting. My mirror glass and the colored cover are in good condition. The mirror body itself also pretty good except broken rivets. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The cover that is painted to match the car is only held in by locking tabs.With the glass still off you should be able to see the tabs that can be released to loosen the cover.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again. Do I need to remove the motor assembly to unlock the colored back plate locking tabs? The driver side mirror just survived from auto car washer torture test just one hour ago. The epoxy glued frame and cover looks like working fine. Hopefully I don't have any troubles with the driver side mirror. I am really happy about this fix, and thank you very much for your kind help.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should be able to release the tabs without removing the mirror motor.I'm glad to hear the other repair can out so well.I will always share the best of my knowledge when I can.

Happy Holidays.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts