Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 850 10V 2.5, 1994. Owned from new, 77,000 miles. Volvo service to 40,000 or so. Well looked after until last 2 years when annual mileage dropped to <4K and maintenance minimal - oil filter plugs, airfilter, brake bleeding only.

Only one problem over 10 years - camshaft position sensor failed 9 months ago.

Current problem - went to start car which normally takes on first crank. Slight popping sound heard and engine turns but doesn't fire.

I have checked spark to all 5 plugs, cambelt not broken and smells as though there's petrol but no life. Oil level was very low at time of problem - right at bottom of range.

I haven't been able to check compression yet.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Volvo Guru &#33;
5,908 Posts
Did you check for spark while the plugs where out?Your dist cap,rotor, or wires could be bad.Have you checked for codes?If you don't know how I will insert a link click on it and read the instructions and try to pull codes.
http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/

check that out and let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 23 2005, 05:03 PM)Did you check for spark while the plugs where out?Your dist cap,rotor, or wires could be bad.Have you checked for codes?If you don't know how I will insert a link click on it and read the instructions and try to pull codes.
http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/

check that out and let me know.
[snapback]3882[/snapback]​

Thanks, yes good strong spark on all 5. no fault codes on the diagnostics. Someone has suggested that the valves may be stuck open if the hydraulic tappets have been short of oil. No sign of water in the oil and as a sudden failure seems unlikley to be a head gasket.

·
Volvo Guru &#33;
5,908 Posts
With everything together after you let it sit for a little while.Get in push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it and don't let go.Then start cranking and let it crank for a couple and see if it starts.Yes sometimes the lifters will bleed down then it will flood out when you try to start it.When you hold the gas to the floor before you crank it it will temp. stop pumping gas for about 30 to 40 sec while you crank it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing to report yet. Too cold last weekend. Below zero - car outside and oil very thick- Hope to test on Saturday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't thank you enough! Car started after cranking for over a minute - good job I bought the bigger battery.

Tick-over very low and stalling but it's running and I can get it to the dealer if needs be.

thank you again.

Toby

·
Volvo Guru &#33;
5,908 Posts
Your welcome let me know how you make out.If you drive it it might clear out and run good again.There might be some extra gas still sitting in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts