Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
They are pretty relible.Some times there is some bugs that need to be work out since the new body style.I have seen these cars with 200,000 miles on them already and still running good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned a year 2000 V70 for the last 2 years and it is the best purchase I have ever made.........ever. I have had many cars but now I will never go to anotether make, its Volvo all the way for me. I am residing in Italy right now and the drive down from the UK was excellent, the car handled it beautifully, full loaded with gear plus a packed roof box, excellent economy.
My next volvo will be the XC70 or even go for the XC90, but never anything else, value for money without question

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have a 99 V70 T5. 52k Miles. Bought it at 15k miles. Very pleased thus far.
Did have an issue with automatic cooling/heating system. Under warranty was
replaced (valve or something) est. cost if I had to pay $ 650 - ugh.

No other issues. Did buy an extended warranty for 3 yrs/72,000 miles for
$ 1900. Figured it would be worth it if anything major went wrong. Policy is
CNA National Warranty Corp. "Preferred Advantage Care" policy. Covers just
about everything. Bought peace of mind. Good luck. Swede in Colorado

ps: haven't used the policy yet. Did have the main headlight switch let go recently, but only $ 30 for part. Installed IPD's - PBR recommended brake
pads and like them much better than OEM parts. see: www.ipdusa.com for info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recently ditched my mundano est for a 98 V70 t5 with 160000 miles on the clock (only way I could afford it) and I have been really impressed with the quality of the engineering in this car.
I have a vehicle repair background and have worked on lots of vehicles but I was amazed with aspects of the design and build whilst checking over her.
However, as always, a service history is very desirable but do not be put off if not from official Volvo dealer. The fact it is up to date is the most important.
Get a Haynes as most items are easily worked on.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 V70 T5 that my wife drives and she loves it. I will probably buy the extended warranty to 72K. So far so good. What I have seen with Volvo's is if you get a good one they are great, but only God will be able to help you if you get a bad one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased my first volvo 9 months ago. Have driven North American cars until my last one, which was an infiniti. This is the most confortable, stable car that I've owned. So far no problems with this unit. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Best all rounder I or my wife have ever owned,
as said if you gootta good one theyre great,
but there are a few toads around,
look for a model with a fsh and you should not go wrong.
dougie....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased my 2001 V70 T5 a year ago today and despite being stranded in Vail last year after my right front CV joint blew out on the highway, having to drop $600 for a local mechanic to get me back up and running with a re-conditioned joint as well as a few run-in's with the local dealer due to some persistant check engine lights (ABS and STC - solved by installing a new ABS controller - $1,100) and annoying electrical challenges (power locks, odometer, sunroof all inoperable - loose connection to rear battery). I started with ~56K miles on it and now have close to 72K.

I have found a small shop that cares about volvo's and volvo owners and couldn't be happier with my car and the service I now receive. It's got some serious get-up-and-go, great space for packing it full of stuff (luggage, dogs, kids, etc) and is an absolute incredible ride on long distance trips - super comfy, great pick-up for passing people on the highway, smooth ride.

Expensive to service, but what luxury vehicle isn't?

·
Registered
27 Posts
in response to your question about buying a V70.....go for it!! Its the best car i've had so far.Just had its service and first MOT today,sailed through no problems.I was present at the service,as i get on very well with my local dealer and the technicians.They go through the car with a fine tooth- comb.Since owning my V70 i have covered over 13000 miles,just returning from a trip to France and it ran like a dream.Very comfy,loads of space,cruise control functions the bees knees.Economy for a large car is good.Coming home from Portsmouth to Wakefield at 75mph in cruise at night and using just under half a tank of petrol....260miles.My service cost with MOT and including VAT was £213.I love my V70 it hasnt let me down once,i must admit i do clean it quite alot,but i like my car to be clean and tidy....an ambassador to the Volvo range!!
.I hope you go with the purchase , any other help you require then please drop me a line.Cioa for now.Happy and safe volvoing!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The advice I've had from an honest ( yes they do exist!!) Volvo dealer is go for a late old shape v70 with full service history and it will go for ever. Apparently the new shape petrol engines are not so good and low mileage diesels are just too expensive to buy at moment, and still depreciating like crazy.

I'm on my third they are built like tanks and if you set up a service arrangement with a Volvo specialsit that they change oil/filters AS REQUIRED but dont bother with oiling hinges and pollen filters each interval you'll find it pretty economical to run.

steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also considering buying a 2000 V70R.

I liked them when they started as the 850 wagon. I had a supervisor with a '95 Turbo Wagon (222hp) and I was impressed with the performance and handling.

I like the fact that Volvo built them with focus on safety, but didn't forget luxury and performance!

My concern is cost for repairs. I'm a military mechanic with 15 years experience and my hobby/ passion is performance cars. I do almost all work myself, but I'm concerned with the high cost of Volvo parts here in the U.S.

I currently own a '89 Toyota Supra Turbo. I'm looking for something family oriented without sacrificing performance. I also have a '99 Ford (Eddied Bauer)Expedition and I'm considering trading it in for a '99 V70R.

What do you think: his and her Volvo V70Rs

Rico

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The V70R is a great car.If you would like to do most of the work yourself.Then look for one a year or 2 older.The 99 has a lot of computer driven components on it.You would need to do most of it at the dealer.Because most of the parts require software downloads to activate the parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was on Saabs for years before buying an 850 2.5 estate. Love the car to bits. I've given that to my other half now and bought a 98 V70R which I love too.

Have to say that Volvo will get my money for the duration.

d

·
Registered
6 Posts
Deffinitely go as new as possible. I picked up a 2001 V70 2.4 last July and I loved the comfy seats, space, handling and style but, it was nothing but trouble. I had the stalling problem, somone mentioned in a previous post being a design problem and basically had the car in the shop every month for one reason or another. I finally hit the wall (figuratively, not literally) when an ongoing problem with the fuel guage caused us to run out of gas in a nasty snowstorm with our small children sleeping in the back. I returned the car to the dealer and we did the overseas delivery on a 2005 V70. We pick it up April 28 and are very excited. I don't think I will keep the car past the warranty date based on my past experience (why bother when they have the wonderful and economical OSD program). So, I say go for it but go as new as possible and it MUST be certified pre-owned so you get that great warranty.
Best,
Amy

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only problems we've had with our 98 V70 (~120K miles) is the rear main seal leak, the turbo return line leak, and the interior electrics. I've had to replace a couple of the window switches and 3 of the 4 door lock mechs.

Love to drive the car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi

While the bigger engine is fine it is by far not a performance wagon by far and what you lose with the low profile tires is traction in the rain and snow. This defeats the purpose of the wagon.

Now when l want performance l jump into my Corvette, now that's performance.

Also the V70R now comes with 300 hp and still it's ok but not a performance machine but that same engine in the V60 is a screamer.

Alan

·
Registered
45 Posts
The anwer to your query is a very simple one indeed.......YES!!!

I bought mine in February 2004 after part ex-ing my beloved Volvo S40 2.0 Sport. After the purchase, I said to myself, why did I ever buy the S40 Sport in the 1st place when this thing is just simply the best thing around!!!

It is just magic! I have been away to the Lake Distict (in the mountains) a couple of weeks back with the Missus, her Mam & Dad 4 sets of luggage and a dog. No roof box as it all when in the back and the dog too!! It simply went like the wind and didnt struggle 1 bit!

What a magic motor! I bet there aint many cars out there that could do the same. Also, It went and handled better fully loaded, talk about sticking to the road!! I had it up to 95 MPH (153 k/ph) fully loaded at only 3,350 rpm!! and it wanted more! Honestly it would have done more if I put my foot down!

You can't beat the sweet sound of that growling enging - 2.4 5 cylinders with 20 valves! Sounds almost as goos as a V8!

Garage costs - in 1 year I have had a service and replaced a few bulbs and a couple of tyres (I gave the fronts a hard time) and thats it.

The only down point is that it aint the smoothest ride in the world but hey, its got everything else and when on a smooth road (or track whicj i would love to do) it will beat anything and the suspension is as smooth as silk!!

Hope this helps you decide to buy one!!

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 01 V70 2.4T. It is a comfortable car, but I rarly get to sit in it because it is always in the shop. Yeah my volvo is the safest car out there, because I never get to drive it. You cant get in a wreck if its at the service department. All kidding aside, I like the car. It doesnt like me. I have had something go wrong with literally every two weeks for the first 3 months I owned it. Luckliy all the issues have been under warrenty (accect for my wife ripping the turn sigal level off, but thats an entirely different saga).

Bottom line is this. Personally I think the car is comfortable and very nice. It has caused me alot of money and headaches.

So no I would not suggest purchasing one of these.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts