Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I wonder if the service light gonna hurt the car in anyway. If not i would like to keep it the way it is since they go out within a few minute. Hate taking it to the dealer for reset cause they charge. If anyone know about this i would appreciated. Thanks... Oh this service light is from a 1998 v70 GLT.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The service light is just a reminder light and will not hurt the car in any way.If it was the CHECK ENGINE light that is a diffrent story.

Try to keep an eye on your local dealer sometimes they run a $19.99 special for an oil change and they will reset the light when they do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My manual (for US models) states the service light will come on every 7.500 miles (12000km) interval, after 750 hours of driving or 12 months, whichever comes first, and is only a reminder light and will stay on for 2 minutes following each engine start.
As mine came on too just after reading your message, I asked the dealer to reset it while I was in there anyway. He simply did some magic with the ignition on, engine not started and used the trip odometer/rest button on the instrument cluster to make it go away. I did not see his actual operations but certainly no tools were used. I'll try it myself next time.
However I do follow the Volvo recommended service program and intervals, here in Norway that is annual or 20.000km, but of course other shops than the dealer is normally cheaper!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(Oyvind @ Apr 23 2005, 12:03 AM)My manual (for US models) states the service light will come on every 7.500 miles (12000km) interval, after 750 hours of driving or 12 months, whichever comes first, and is only a reminder light and will stay on for 2 minutes following each engine start.
As mine came on too just after reading your message, I asked the dealer to reset it while I was in there anyway. He simply did some magic with the ignition on, engine not started and used the trip odometer/rest button on the instrument cluster to make it go away. I did not see his actual operations but certainly no tools were used. I'll try it myself next time.
However I do follow the Volvo recommended service program and intervals, here in Norway that is annual or 20.000km, but of course other shops than the dealer is normally cheaper!

[snapback]7065[/snapback]​

If you search on this site you will find the precedure for resetting it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts