Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 97 850 GLT and recently made a 200 mile trip in it where I was crusing at about 90-95 mph. Since then, the service engine light has come on every time I start the car, but goes away after I drive for about 5 minutes. Anybody have any ideas on what might be causing this annoying little problem? Thanks for the help.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That light is a reminder light telling you to service your car.You need a service light tool to reset it.Sometimes the dealers will have an oil change special for like $20.00 and they will reset the light as part of the oil change.

That light comes on about every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. However, is there no other way to make it shut off? Right before I the trip I had the oil changed, but I guess they didn't reset the light. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you purchase the service light reset then you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much does something like that cost? Would I have to buy it from a Volvo dealership? Once I have it, how do I go about doing resetting it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Dude, the price quoted on IPD was like USD178!!

Just to reset the service light? *gulp*

In any case, the owner can 'set' the service light to appear at longer intervals, right? Or shorter, depending on owner preferences?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Some of the cars have that option with the dealer setting it.

I believe someone has found the same tool somewhere else online for like $70.00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts