Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the oil change/service sticker wanted an oil change/service at 100,000k's. Not a problem. Took the car to the dealer. Not a problem. Dealer started oil change. This is what followed. The parts:

1275810 Oil Filter
940096 Seal Oil Filler Cap
977751 Washer Sump Plug Alloy
333 Screen Wash Fluid
274338 Timing Belt V40 (remember I have an S80)
30638277 Tensioner S/v40
9471981 Drive Belt P26/S60
17638 Bulb, Amber 21W
9186361 Air Filter S80
8692071 Spark Plugs 5 Cyl Turbo
153500 Brakefluid Dot4 Syn
47501 Bulb, 12V5W Capless
1275363 Pulley VVT EXH S80
9443310 Sealing Ring
1397381 CAP/END Camshaft S4
9443310 Sealing Ring
MAGNATEC
Power Steering Fluid

Tech, I am hoping that your idea is amongst all that stuff for the oil pan o-rings!!

Like, the car
goes beautifully now. I would not have believed it was my own car if I didn't know it.

Just a serious Ouch with the coin

There was only one part we did not have in New Zealand. The Cap/End Camshaft S4. The agent had to acquire one from Australia (where ever that is). That is one thing Australia is good for. If we don't have the parts here-the Australians have always had the parts in stock.
That has been the case for both of my Volvo's.

I must say that I have always found Scandinavian Motors a pleasure to deal with. I know that a lot of members have precious little to no time at all for their local Volvo agent. I can't speak highly enough of ours.

Did you notice anything about the Parts list? It is the first time I have ever noticed a mistake.

I have had my S80 for a year today. I am very happy with it.

You would have noticed over the year my totally unbiased perspectives about the S80 and other models-you did didn't you?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You must have been due for the major tune-up service and timing belt all in the same time.

Thats what I get from the parts list.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good afternoon Tech. Thank you for your reply. I was charged twice for the Sealing Ring. I assume that is the Oil Pan O Ring you mention often in replies. Am I correct?

Cheers

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I think they might have been cam seals that is kind of what the part # looks like.

·
Registered
295 Posts
QUOTE(Auckland @ Aug 11 2005, 06:08 PM)
I .... wanted an oil change/service at 100,000k's.....
[snapback]13321[/snapback]​
I would guess that is what we would call a 'Major' Service. The standard 'Mileage' based Service. They are expensive, but if the car "goes beautifully now. I would not have believed it was my own car if I didn't know it." then I guess it was worth it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you went in and asked for an oil change and got a 100K service I'd be ****.

But then again if it "runs like a dream"

---

It was a 440 TDi, I religiously changed the oil every 5-6k and the filters. Total cost normally <£50. £30 worth of oil, £10 parts. £10 labour at the local tyre centre ( to drain engine and dispose of oil ). It did a 50 mile round trip daily, and got a change every 6 months or so.

I once made the mistake of letting the dealership talk me into letting them change my oil, having gone in for the parts. Despite the assurances from the salesman that it wouldn't be expensive....

So £120 for an oil change....

I blew one serious gasket in their office when I got the bill, and they made it worse by making excuses, for a high labour; charge which involved watching the oil drain out having undone the sump.

I've only had one issue with the quality of the work done by a volvo dealership. When they managed to bugger my gearbox up....

...But I nearly ALWAYS have issue with the price... esp. at £70+/hr labour.

Barmy

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there. The list carries on. Today I got the Lower Right Engine Mount replaced. Part Number:

8624757 Mount RH LWR XC

Now it drives like two dreams!!

I think I would stage a hissy fit also if I got your labour charges. 70 Quid is NZ$210.00 per hour. Our local agent charges NZ$85.00 per hour.

Next job is next week-when I have more coins!! The throttle body needs cleaning.

After that, all I have left to do is replace the radiator and both the front shock absorbers. Then, it is back to where it should be.

I also checked the double listing of parts-that is my mistake
sorry. It actually has two seals, not one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts