Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking at getting a second hand 1997 V40. Its done 140,000KM and is in really good shape - full service history etc.

We have a 5 year old and a 14month old, so whilst being on the small side, the V40 should be good.

can any one let me know what I should be looking for in the way of problems?

It seems that some V40 have a heap of things go wrong with the main problems being radiators & air con.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmmmm ... I recently had a fuel pump advance solenoid "go" on mine. I get the impression that it isn't something that happens often as it took a couple of weeks to get the part in and fixed and it was damn expensive to sort (about £650).

Apart from that, running costs have been minimal ... in close on 100,000miles (160,000kms) its been little more than servicing and consumables (one set of brake pads and two sets of tyres)! I replaced the drivers door window switch last weekend as it had lost its "up" functionality and apart from a slightly noisy read passenger side wheel bearing (has been making the same noise for at least the last 80,000 miles and hasn't got any worse) then I don't think there's anything else wrong with it.

Phil

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Check the engine mounts good if you aren't sure what you are looking for have it check out by a good technician.Most places will charge 1 hour to check out the car.Try to have some one check it that knows Volvo's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Jan 16 2005, 12:38 PM)Check the engine mounts good if you aren't sure what you are looking for have it check out by a good technician.Most places will charge 1 hour to check out the car.Try to have some one check it that knows Volvo's.
[snapback]2325[/snapback]​

Thanks for 'heads up'. What the problems with the engine mounts? Do they loosen over time?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The R/S engine mounts get weak and cause vibration on the car.That is almost the weakest point on most cars because they are made of rubber.Here in the US we only had S/V 40 avalible in 2000 and they had some weak R/S engine mouts thats why I reccomended having them checked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts