Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. My son has a 99 Volvo C70 with the 3-CD Pro-Logic system (SC 901?). On the way home from college, it quit. We replaced the fuse under the hood but it didn't make a difference. Power is getting to the radio because the anti-theft light is blinking. But there is no response when you push the on-off button and no code message or anything on the screen to indicate that it's working.

Anyone know if there is some kind of in-line fuse for these that would cause the radio to stop? I noticed that the power antenna also does not come up. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
MCRG00

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I thought that might be the case. But the story gets weirder. Went to the Dealer (ugh) and they checked out the relay, then replaced the radio with a new one. New one worked fine, so it was obvious that the radio was the problem. They put the old radio back in, didn't charge me anything for an hour's effort (shocking, isn't it?), and told me that a new SC901 radio would cost $368.

I was headed home and hit the radio button without thinking and that the **** CODE message came on. Been working since, but I suspect it could go out again any time.

Any recommendations on good replacement radios?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can go with anything Aftermarket.Just make sure it gets installed properly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hi... perhaps this may help... my understanding of these stereos is that if u incorrectly input the code more than 3 times the radio disables itself completely, you then have to disconnect the battery for a period of time or totally leave the stereo alone for a slightly longer time. After this (undetermined) amount of time has past you will then be prompted with the CODE input once you turn ur radio back on.

Maybe there is nothing wrong with your stereo and all is good after u entered your code, or i guess its possible the radio is faulty and goes into the safety mode randomly

·
Registered
93 Posts
QUOTE(volvodriver_au @ Nov 10 2005, 06:18 AM)hi... perhaps this may help... my understanding of these stereos is that if u incorrectly input the code more than 3 times the radio disables itself completely, you then have to disconnect the battery for a period of time or totally leave the stereo alone for a slightly longer time. After this (undetermined) amount of time has past you will then be prompted with the CODE input once you turn ur radio back on.

Maybe there is nothing wrong with your stereo and all is good after u entered your code, or i guess its possible the radio is faulty and goes into the safety mode randomly

[snapback]18145[/snapback]​

I had to do that and its either 2 or 3 hours you have to leave it disconnected. And about what Tech said Make sure you get it professionally installed, and i wouldnt consider best buy and circuit city "professional". The downside to an aftermarket is that the car probbaly has 6-8 speakers and with an aftermarket one 4 is the most i believe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I think I have the same problem with the radio in my 98 volvo s70. I don't get any "code" request and also my antenna doesn't go up. Is this what you experienced as well? I will also say that this happened after the battery was run down by daughter leaving a light on in the car overnight.

When you say you should leave the car alone for a slightly longer time to possibly re-set the radio, does that mean that I shouldn't drive the car at all?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had this happen twice now. This happened a few years back (while car was under warranty). It happened last night again. I'm not sure what I want to do... another 901 or an aftermarket. What a pain this is. Why such unreliability in a radio?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had simillar problems. The radio does not work, but the CD works. Radio is blocked, in a software loop. You need to remove radio fuse from the engine fuse box (hard reset). Plug it again, enter radio code and it works! . Happens randomly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts