Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 s80 AWD with 38k. I get considerable vibration through the cabin while the car is idling. During acceleration it is smooth power all the way, but at a stop light...forget it. The vibration is especially noticable through the steering column. I have seen other posts speaking of this problem. Has anyone defined what causes this and what can be done to fix it? I have already replaced the upper motor mount and changed the air filter. Any suggestions? Its just very annoying and irritating.

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
QUOTE (payton34 @ Feb 11 2011, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a 2004 s80 AWD with 38k. I get considerable vibration through the cabin while the car is idling. During acceleration it is smooth power all the way, but at a stop light...forget it. The vibration is especially noticable through the steering column. I have seen other posts speaking of this problem. Has anyone defined what causes this and what can be done to fix it? I have already replaced the upper motor mount and changed the air filter. Any suggestions? Its just very annoying and irritating.

check the drive shaft ,and engine and gearbox mounts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a vibration at idle for the last couple of weeks, then 2 days ago 2 coils failed. I had the coils replaced and it's like a new engine now. You could have a week coil(s) that would cause an intermittent misfire at idle that would smooth out with increased rpms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (payton34 @ Feb 11 2011, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a 2004 s80 AWD with 38k. I get considerable vibration through the cabin while the car is idling. During acceleration it is smooth power all the way, but at a stop light...forget it. The vibration is especially noticable through the steering column. I have seen other posts speaking of this problem. Has anyone defined what causes this and what can be done to fix it? I have already replaced the upper motor mount and changed the air filter. Any suggestions? Its just very annoying and irritating.

Any luck on a diagnosis Payton? I'm having the same problem with my 2004 S80 2.5T with 55k. Rough ONLY at idle, the rest of the time is super smooth and full of power. No error codes at all.
Let me know if you figure it out and I will be sure to do the same.

Thanks and good luck,

Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! Did any of you find a solution to that? I have an s80 2.0t auto facelift 2006 and i have the same problem. When i stop at lights or so, the car is vibrating and it is mostly understandable on the steering wheel. Weirdly enough (at least for me) when I unlock the adjusting lathe of the steering column the vibration stops. It also stops when i touch the throttle pedal at a level that i keep the iddle 50 rpm higher. The car is overall in aperfect condition and is always smoothly driven, and given the low mileage (50.000 km) i cannot explain -either accept- from a car of this class.
In the last one year I ve been visiting all the volvo service spots without result or confident reply. In the meantime they changed several parts including mountings of the engine (upper, lower,front and back and even tried diesel mountings that are supposed to be more vibration -absorbing), cleaning of throttle and valves, change of spark plugs in an early period, reset and update of the ecu, some mountings on the steering column and other smaller changes that brought no change.
Thank you in advance for a reply!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I hope this will help someone...
Just bought an s80 2.0T 2006... What a beautiful and comfy car!
BUT... yehhh... it was vibrating like hell when idling and especially when in D and foot on the brakes.
I've found that the right engine mount was broken and replaced it. it didn't help.
Changed ALL the ignition plugs and coils... NO. The Beech Boys would have loved this car! GOOD VIBRATION!
This was thrustrating to say the least so I started to think with my own brain and look for the blame.
Well, once you lift up the engine bonnet you can see two things:
1. a very nice looking and silent engine when idling!
2. a very strange crossbar just above the engine.
This strange and unique crossbar is standing on two flexible "legs" which are connected firmly to the wheels suspension supports and is connected to the upper engine through additional two flexible joints.
One of these joints is a huge aluminum mount (top engine mount).
If you'll take out the main thick connecting bolt that runs through the engine mount, you will be able to
rock the crossbar back and forth very easily. In fact it does look too easy! and everything seem to be intact.
So... What is this crossbar????
It will not prevent the engine from moving around or falling down because it's too flexible with all of these flexy joints.
It's a strong, massive, 10 kilo bar doing nothing at all???
One guy here wrote that this bar is there for one single job:
In the event of head collision (god forbid!) it will help to prevent the heavy engine from entering the cabin in a straight line... it will push the engine down to your feet.... MAYBE...
In the meanwhile though.... this heavy crossbar is doing one thing!
It amplifies the engine vibes and sending these "good vibes" to you, the driver!
The engine is vibrating just bit while idling... it's normal! But these small vibes are sent to this heavy crossbar through the top mount, amplified considerably and sent with lots of love to the dashboard and you...
I disassemble this crossbar completely with all those mounts, and what do you know,
peace and quite!
AND... There is a bonus! there is also less road noise coming from the wheels now!
This questionable crossbar amplified these vibes too....
And I think to myself... what a wonderful car... o yehhh...
:)
Sorry to say but I had to put the bar back in place... the engine was rocking too much without it... 😪

1 - 7 of 7 Posts