Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I am in the market for a used s70 (98-00) I have found a lot of vehicles in the price range i plan to spend 7500.00 max. I have read a lot of reviews and know what i am to look for but have one question that may seem silly.

On a high end for milage with the S70 or volvo's for that matter, how many miles do these things get in a lifetime if maintained well?

I ask because obviosly I am not going to be getting a warranty and i have seen several with low milage for the price i want to spend, but i do not want to rule out something with 80+ if the life expectancy if maintained well ( I stress maintained well) is higher than normal.

I have asked a few people and for the most part they tell me volvo is a good solid relaible safe car and will last a long long time if you maintain the vehicle.

I would appreciate any advice that you may have to offer.

regards,

Michael

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would recomend going with a 98 S70 and well maintained and changing timing belts when due I have seen those engines with 350,000 and still running great.The only problem they ever had was they didn't do the timing belt when it was due and it broke.And cost about $3000.00 to repair when that happens.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Looks pretty good they only things I saw wrong were the washer resivior cap is missing and the door panels are bubbled.But overall the car looks SWEET.
Congrats on the car!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In regards to the bubbles on the panels...

Do you think it is some kind of water leakage, moisture barrier working the glue loose? Do you think it came from frances or jeanne? (hurricanes, i see your in florida too so i assume you know what I mean.)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No it would not be from the Hurricanes.That is a normal problem from the S/V 70's.Volvo used a glue on the door panels that turned out to not hold very well here in the U.S.Volvo used to repair the door panels im not sure if they do it anymore.You can also check with a shop that specializes in interior work they might be able to fix it for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the info. It looks as if the Wholesaler that i was going to buy from tried to burn me.

I live about 200 miles from where the car was at. Called him before i was going down and he said it was a go. I got down there and when i went to see the car it was not a 2000 s70, it was a 95 850! Needless to say I took my money and left.

However, i have not given up on a volvo. It turns out that there is a volvo dealer within a mile from my house (he is not big). He did not have any cars on the lot i wanted (about 10-15 volvos), but his pricing is the same as a wholesaler in a large market. I am going to go with him and get a 1999 s80 of my specs. He will be going to the orlando auction and says he should have it in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help tech.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No problem any time.Where in Florida do you live?I live in orlando and used to like in palm beach and might have some other connections you can use to look at cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i live in vero beach. If you any connections you could hook me up with, let me know. As you can see if i am willing to go to lauderdale and miami for a car, i would go as far north as orlando area and as far west as tampa.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi:

Just an update. I bought on ebay. I got a 1999 S80 with 83k. Excellent condition. 7800.00 he had it as a buy it now for 8800, but lowerd the buy it now, I called him, made some pre purchase arrangements and viola, i bought it.

The car is in mississippi. I will be picking it up as soon as i can find time to get it, or i may have it shipped (600.00) more to ship. Need to see what kind of paycheck i have, but overall i feel really good about it. Great person to talk to. No games, he was straight up.

I am sure i will be posting in the s80 forums with a lot of quesions.

Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.I will be here when you have quiestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts