Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 S70 GLT w/52,000 miles that is exhibiting a subtle surging at 65-70 mph. This occurs when the vehicle is climbing a mild grade and the throttle is held steady. RPMs are not reflecting what is felt (almost like a mild cruise control fluctuation, but it's not on when it occurs). The Volvo dealership has confirmed it is occuring and has yet been unable to correct it.

Here is the what has occured so far (all under warranty):
I started to feel surging, ran injector cleaner through system. - No Change
Two weeks later Check Engine Light started coming on and off. Ran two tanks of gas from different stations to eliminate posibility of bad gas. CE light on
Took car to dealer, O2 sensor replaced. - CE Light off
Driving around city less than 50 miles CE light came on. Surging still occurs.
Took car to dealer, Ejector replaced (vacuum component) - left dealer, hit highway, it was still surging. Returned to dealer, scheduled another apointment. Looking at the repair statement, the vehicle had a ECM-261A code at this time.
Drove vehicle until next appointment. Once again CE light came. Dealer stated it was same code that indicated the ejector was bad. (ECM-261A?) Dealer replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor, and returned vehicle due to my need of a vehicle and no loaner available. They stated it was still surging. It is although less noticable. I don't know if this is due to warmer weather.

The car goes back in a couple of days, and I'm curious if anyone may have an idea if it is the ETM. I don't belive it has been replaced or cleaned yet as I've yet to see the repair statement from the last visit. The posts I've seen about the ETM failures seem to indicate that the symptoms are more pronounced than what I'm experiencing, but who knows. It was suggested that perhaps it may be a weak spark plug, and I'll have the dealer put in a set, but I don't want to start throwing money after it. The warranty will expire in couple of months and I want to make sure it's reolved before then.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Wonder why didn't they clean the throttle module first? It's probably the easiest. Labor charge only.

Sometimes, the dealers are quite confusing.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
BTW, Welcome to the Forum, Wharf Rat!

(Watch it, think there's a cat nearby...Meoow...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer won't replace it under warranty as it hasn't thrown any error codes.
He also stated the cleaning will damage it further and should not be performed as this will void any warranty when it does fail outright.

Now I get to join those throngs of people wondering if their car will make it to the next destination...

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Cleaning the throttle module is not difficult. You can DIY, if you know how to.

And I don't think if they do the cleaning, it would get damaged, unless they don't know exactly what to do. (In which case, shouldn't be the case.)

I don't know what the deal is with the dealer. What do they recommend then?

Do they expect you to drive all around town with that kind of condition?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
They have their Head Up Their A**

IT WILL IN NO WAY VOID THE WARRANTY!!!!!!

If you have another dealer near you take it to them and have them look at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know what the @#$$ they want me to do. It's going on week 6 now. Time to drive 25 miles to the next nearest dealer.

The reaction I got when I inquired about the cleaning leads me to believe one of two things: a) When the dealer had cleaned an ETM previously the wrong solvent was used, leading to seal damage. b) perhaps a warranty cleaning was already performed (before my purchase) nulling any further warranty cleaning claims.

I am starting to feel surging also occuring at about 50 mph with the rpms at 1700-1900. The throttle position feels about the same as when it occurs at 70 mph and rpms at 2400-2600. Unfortunately it is much harder to find a stretch of road to confirm it.

Does the OBDII data report throttle positions?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes you can read throttle positions through OBDII as long as the scanner can read that function.

They make me really mad when they do things like that.It does not in any way void the warranty.Yes cleaning it might finish it off but thats the entire point.
They need to make it set codes so that it can be replaced.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
If you do make that 25-mile trip to the next nearest dealer, please also tell us what they diagnosed out of it.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Oh, by the way, we here normally report abuses like this to our club who in turn will try to investigate what they can and deal directly with the dealers on it, to find a more amicable solution.

Our club here is the Volvo Owners Club of Malaysia (http://www.vocm.com.my)

I noticed that there is a Volvo Club of America (VCOA) at http://www.vcoa.org/ Why don't you see if they can do anything to help. If you could file a complaint over it, all the better! The goals of the club are to foster Volvo maintenance, restoration, safety, driving enjoyment, and member camaraderie. The club is organized as a not-for-profit corporation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts