Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, when I open the door on the driver's side of my car, there is a loud popping sound. I oiled it w/WD-40 however it persists. When opening the door it is not smooth, either-I'm beginning to think it is not a lubrication issue. I'm almost afraid to open it now. Might any of the Guru's have any insight? Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
One of 2 things is happening:

1. The latch that is in the middle of the door between the 2 hinges came loose.Sometimes the screw will come loose.

2. The weld broke/cracked in the body of the car where the middle latch attaches to the body.

Pull back on the rubber at the body and look to see what is going on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On our 1998 V70 XC, the weld broke. Makes two snaps with each opening and closing, as it goes over the detents that hold the door open. Annoying, but I don't see it as something that will cause the door to fall off. No Volvo recall on this, I assume?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(emmittscar @ Sep 16 2005, 05:31 AM)On our 1998 V70 XC, the weld broke. Makes two snaps with each opening and closing, as it goes over the detents that hold the door open. Annoying, but I don't see it as something that will cause the door to fall off. No Volvo recall on this, I assume?
[snapback]15423[/snapback]​

If the welding broke, you may want to get it re-attached.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I pulled that rubber cover back as Tech suggested and in my case it is a broken weld. It is very common according to the volvo body shop as well as another site I frequent that gives notices about car problems. The problem was not recalled on my model, unfortunately. It costs $190.00 to repair at the dealer but I'm going to shop around a little bit more. I can't stand the sound-it's really loud. Thanks for the help. kevino

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Try to find a good indy shop that has a welder and has done it before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The indy shop recommended a body shop b/c they do spot welding. I took it there and they will repair it for $80.00 (2 hours). He said that he has repaired these before. He will drill two holes and insert pins and weld them. Glad I shopped around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This does seem to happen far to often on Volvos. I've had three 440s all of which needed the drivers door hinge rewelding.

Its worrying to see it happening on newer models as well.

Barmy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same issue on my '99 - TWICE.

I complained to Volvo loud enough the first time that Volvo paid for the repair, even though the car was out of warranty. I reminded Volvo they have an 8 yr corrosion protection warranty - the door check strap was CLEARLY corroded where the weld failed (the dealer tried telling me I had repeatedly kicked the door open causing the weld to fail - NOT!!!)

Well, the spot weld held for just over a year and FAILED AGAIN. This time I found a different Volvo dealer sympathetic to my plight and they somehow convinced Volvo to pay for it again. I don't imagine Volvo will foot the bill next time (the body shop here want's like $600 for the repair)

Bottom line, VOLVO SUCKS! (and I got mine from the factory in Sweden!)

Anybody have any suggestions on diagnosing a strange sound seemingly coming from my power steering? It's got fluid but still making noise. Is it time for a new P/S pump? The dealer told me it could also be the idler pulley?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, this little "defect" has visited my V70 too, the problem was there before I bought the car and it looks like an amateur tried to do the repair.

I've found that since it only happens when I fully extend the door, that if I don't do that it won't "pop"... although I am bigging to expand around the mid-section and that may not be an option in the near future,lol.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Radio Flyer @ Nov 19 2005, 12:23 PM) I've found that since it only happens when I fully extend the door, that if I don't do that it won't "pop"...
[snapback]18893[/snapback]​

It would be great if you could control yourself like that.

Me? I'd normally pull the latch and once I push the door out, i always find the door reverting and slamming back at me leg!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The first repair that the indy body shop made on mine only lasted a month. I took it back to him and he ordered a new check strap and rewelded it. He said it wasn't going anywhere now-we'll see. The Volvo dealer carries an inventory of them since it is such a common issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts