Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm having a problem with the tickover on my s60 2.0t (reg 2000) Essentially it seems to surge between 7k and 9k revs and sometimes appears as though it may stall completely. It is also very difficult to start in the morning as it turns over for a longer than normal amount of time before firing up. I can also detect the surge when travelling at lower speeds. I have had the car connected to a code reader but this failed to show that anything was wrong.
Here's hoping that some of you knowledgable chaps out there might hae come across this problem before.
Any help greatly appreciated, cheers Ben

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ben
Sounds like dirty throttle body housing - 2 minute job for dealer and common to our good friend the fly by wire system. Apparently "they all do it" and cleaning the throtte body is NOT on any Volvo schedule, or at any rate not up to 42,000 which is where my 2.4 LPG Volvo is now. And it won't cost many beans!
Bhowani (Leeds)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I agree sounds like a dirty throttle body and you will need to have it cleaned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to both for the very quick response, really appreciated. Could you advise me where this throttle housing is located and what it might be cleaned with (airline etc.) Its just that my Dad has a garage but tends to deal with the 'older' cars if you know what I mean, he has agreed to have it in but just needs to know what he is looking for. I have had this on a fault code reader but this failed to show anything as being faulty. I am not in posession of a blown diagram but general direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks once again, Ben

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Since yours is a turbo it is located under the intake manifold.It is a big square thing with a wire going to it.Follow the big plastic hose from the intercooler to the throttle body and you can't miss it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for your help on this one, we'll take a good look at it this weekend and see if we can rid this problem once and for all. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Thanks once again.

Cheers Ben

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, just took a look at the throttle body fellas, (managed to locate it easily enough, can you tell me how I would get into it - the front cover is stamped with some bar codes and 'Magnetti Marrelli' and appears to be stuck in place with silicone. Is it possible to merely prise off this cover or are we talking stripping down the manifold? - (or am I missing something obvious?)

Also, what should I use to clean it with WD40 and airline?

Cheers Ben

[attachmentid=323]

Attachments

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You have to remove the plastic pipe going to it.Then reach under and you will feel 4 10mm screws that you will need to remove.Then it will slide out you might also have to remove the starter support bracket to get the wiring all the way out.

Use carb cleaner to clean it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, I understand now, wish I'd got smaller hands to get in there! No probs, I'll give this a go, thanks very much for all the help. Cheers Ben

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
removed the throttle body, cleaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner (terrific stuff - brought it up like new) removed all the sticky fuel residue and it now runs like a dream - its like driving a new car! Thank you very much for all your help and advice, absolutely spot on. Its reassuring to know that not everyone is interested in making a fast buck and I guess that's why this forum works so well.
Thanks once again, Ben.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts