Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Need some help with my 2001 S60 T5. I just bought my S60 T5 (used), but during the inspection, we found that there was a leak coming from the Fuel Tank sender unit. The 2nd Hand dealer got the new original part to replace, but he got it done at his own workshop. The Car works great when there is more that a quarter tank of petrol, but when the fuel tank approaches the red section of the fuel guage, before the petrol reminder light comes on, the car would stall because it is unable to suck up the fuel form the petrol tank. I have confirmed that there was petrol in the car as when I got the car to the petrol station, it could only take about 55L of petrol, it should have taken 70L if I had a faulty guage and the tank was empty.

I have taken the car back to the workshop that installed the sender unit(comes with the fuel pump and a container to collect the petrol for the pump) thinking that it was installed too high, but when the guy there removed the sender unit and showed it to me, it was obvious that the hight in which the fuel pump was installed was not adjustable. There was however the petrol return line that ran from the fuel pump's container to a left side of the car's petrol tank which was the lowest part of the fuel tank, I suspect that the problem is probably in that return line as it is also used to carry fuel to the petrol pump's container. I understand that there is another fuel guage reader on the other side of the tank and I also notice that there was some kind of attachment in the middle of the return line that made a loop from the fuel pump container to that attachment and back to the fuel pump container where it has an open end that feeds fuel into the fuel pump container.

Really appreciate if anyone who know how the fuel tank system works can point me to the right direction to get my problem fix. Thanks heaps.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That car has 2 sending units.The one on the drivers side is most likely bad.Or when he changed the left side on the pulled to much on the wires and the other one is hung up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Tech, I don't quite follow. My car is RHD version. The sender unit that was replace was the one on the right side of the car. Do you mean that the new sender unit that was replace was faulty? Does the left sender unit have another pump that pumps fuel to the right sender unit which is the main sender unit that pumps fuel to the fuel filter?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Im not sure which side has the fuel pump on the RHD car.But one side has the pump the other side is just a sender.If you ever look at the tank it is shaped kinda like a U.There is 2 senders to show the proper fuel level.Most of the time if one goes bad the other is not far behind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts