Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I like this forum very much...
...I only which there would be little more happening on the S40 05 area.

I look for a very long time before getting the S40 T5. I'll be happy to share my experience in an other post.

Aside from the fact I made a good deal by buying the last 2005 off the lot in August when 2006 were coming out, I was unsure of the true performance of 17" wheels vs. 16". With the sport package came stiffer suspension and 17" wheels. I felt confident to buy the 16" wheels for my wife's comfort.

Now I'm the one that mostly drives the Volvo and I which I had the 17" wheel. I think the design of the standard 16" aluminum wheel is great but 17" looks nice in proportion too. Anyway, when I drive it feels that I can't take full advantage of the turbo during start and with handling going through turns.

Is there really a difference in the performance between 16" and 17"? Could I buy 17" wheel with my current suspensions? Would it make enough of a difference without sport suspension? Any ideas of the cost to buy 17" wheel after the fact?

I'm looking for some interesting feedback on this subject, so thank you all!

Greg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Gregoire, you can put the 17" wheels on your car, and the handleing will improve some due to the size and track of the tire. There is however (I think) a big difference in the standard and the sport suspension. The tighter suspension holds a bit better in hard cornering. The negative to the sport suspension is that you can feel the bumps in the road quite a bit more. It is all personal preferance. I would suggest going to a Volvo dealer and test driving the S40 with the sport suspension to see if it is worth it to you. I personally really like it.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts