Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted this on the S40 05 section but thought I might get more response here...

Hello everyone!

I like this forum very much...
...I only which there would be little more happening on the S40 05 area.

I look for a very long time before getting the S40 T5. I'll be happy to share my experience in an other post.

Aside from the fact I made a good deal by buying the last 2005 off the lot in August when 2006 were coming out, I was unsure of the true performance of 17" wheels vs. 16". With the sport package came stiffer suspension and 17" wheels. I felt confident to buy the 16" wheels for my wife's comfort.

Now I'm the one that mostly drives the Volvo and I which I had the 17" wheel. I think the design of the standard 16" aluminum wheel is great but 17" looks nice in proportion too. Anyway, when I drive it feels that I can't take full advantage of the turbo during start and with handling going through turns.

Is there really a difference in the performance between 16" and 17"? Could I buy 17" wheel with my current suspensions? Would it make enough of a difference without sport suspension? Any ideas of the cost to buy 17" wheel after the fact?

I hope someone can help. Thank you all!

Greg

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Gregoire @ Sep 22 2005, 12:15 PM)I already posted this on the S40 05 section but thought I might get more response here...
Hello everyone!

I like this forum very much...
...I only which there would be little more happening on the S40 05 area.

I look for a very long time before getting the S40 T5. I'll be happy to share my experience in an other post.

Aside from the fact I made a good deal by buying the last 2005 off the lot in August when 2006 were coming out, I was unsure of the true performance of 17" wheels vs. 16". With the sport package came stiffer suspension and 17" wheels. I felt confident to buy the 16" wheels for my wife's comfort.

Now I'm the one that mostly drives the Volvo and I which I had the 17" wheel. I think the design of the standard 16" aluminum wheel is great but 17" looks nice in proportion too. Anyway, when I drive it feels that I can't take full advantage of the turbo during start and with handling going through turns.

Is there really a difference in the performance between 16" and 17"? Could I buy 17" wheel with my current suspensions? Would it make enough of a difference without sport suspension? Any ideas of the cost to buy 17" wheel after the fact?

I hope someone can help. Thank you all!

Greg
[snapback]15645[/snapback]​

Hi, Greg.

What do you mean by "when I drive it feels that I can't take full advantage of the turbo during start and with handling going through turns."... Could you please describe what happened...?

Do the wheels rub with the fender well?
I do not know what are your 'current suspensions'. But I was informed that the stock suspension would be able to take one size bigger. (Hint: Hearsay)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ampangbear,

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my post.
Few things happen:

- When I'm at a stop and I accelerate quickly the turbo seems to be almost too responsive. I don't mind that on the contrary but the tires don't always grip asphalt very well and I feel I need to decelerate just a bit to let the tires grip the road.

- The other thing is when I'm at a stop and do the same thing but while turning. Then the effect is even worth and the tires start squealing. Some time I don't need to accelerate very much for this to happen.

- The other thing is maybe more related to the suspension but could be related to tires as well I suppose. When I'm turning at higher velocity on a relatively large turn the car start to tilt side way, as most cars do. However with the turbo power behind and when accelerating through the turn it becomes difficult to tell what the limit of the tilt is. I don't necessarily have lots of experience with a 218hp car with a turbo and it may be some of that too. I also don't necessarily want to push it and end up in the ditch. I love performance as long as it is still safe.

So I understand very well what plays in the performance (larger tires - more rubber on the road, larger wheels means stiffer tired and with stiffer suspension translate in less inertia, etc) but I don't know if all those factors are equal with the S40. Can I get noticeable difference by just changing part of it such as the tires? I probably don't want to change suspensions. According to Volvo 17" wheel require larger rotors, is that a must? Does all season tires (which I have) play a big role?

Thank for the tip on the suspension vs. 17" wheels. That answers one of my questions. I definitely don't want the tire to touch the fender on bumpy roads.

Thank again…

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I see... But dude, the tires squealing and all the jerk refers back to the 'T5' feature of the car! I mean, you paid (big money, too!) for it!

Don't worry, there is always the human factor at the helm of the wheels - YOU! And I figured probably you havent gotten yourself used to the car's ability as yet. (Once you do, like I know many people here, you'll be asking for more!
)

What are you using as of present for your tires? All-season tires, being 'all-season' of course wouldn't measure up on par with season-specific tires. If you think your tires spin on icy or slippery asphalt, then try go for other tires.

16' is the standard on mine. But instead of getting a bigger tire, I chose a 'wider' one. Sure, some people says it'll drag the car, but then I would also know that the contact surface to the graound is more.
And since mine is quite stiff, the added 'absorption' power of the tires help a tad for comfort.

I am sure there are stores in your area who could fit tires on yours for a 'trial' run, before purchase, right? Try it out.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I apologize, but assuming your car is front wheel drive--you can only realisticly put so much power to the front wheels. When u start from a stop, weight shift goes to the rear. U see this to the extreme when turning, because the inside front tire has the least amout of weight on it....the weight shift is going to the outside rear. Not much can be done about that.

Thats the reason I never seriously considered an Acura TL, its FWD. Reviews are great, except for too much power to the wheels.

The car leaning thru turns is the suspension. Firmer suspension, less lean in turns, harsher ride. But u wont roll the car because of softer suspension settings, if thats what your worried about.

As for 16 or 17" wheels. If u go to 17" wheels keep the overall diameter of the wheel and tire the same. If the aspect ratio is 50 for the 16's for example, u want to get an aspect ratio of 45 with the 17's. The side wall height will be less, and u will notice crisper handling, as well as more bumps and a slightly harsher ride.

Personally, I would keep the overall height/diameter the same, u wont have to worry about rubbing. If u upgrade the suspension later this could be a big issue. I would also keep the width of the tire the same. Again, so u wont have to worry about rubbing.

Not to be too long winded, but I used to have an AWD Eclipse with 225/50/17 wheels/tires. I went to 225/45/18 tires with 18" wheels. Basically, same height/overall diameter, and same width. Noticable diff in handling (as I switched back and forth for summer and winter), and looked great, I might add.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys!

Thanks a lot for the feedback that helps a lot.

Actually I made a pretty good deal on the car
Thanks GM for pushing the other guys! $4000 off MSRP. Not huge but pretty good for a volvo I think.

Believe it or not for the longest time I was driving a Mercury Grand Marquis given to us by my in-laws. Needless to say it is a complete different beast. The only rear-wheel drive, V8 engine with a solid frame left on the market, very heavy with mushy suspension, great on highway and could easily beat my S40 when accelerating at high speed. Built like a tank (that's why cops like it) and do best at High speed. Steering is so soft you can literally drive it with "half" a finger at all time. That alone was an adjustment. Steering precision is however way too loose and the weight is what really keeps the car inline with the road.

I know what you guys think, old folks car, but that car as grown on me over the years and I still love it in its own way. I have a blast with the S40 but the mercury is still great. My wife is still using it. Anyway you're right, going from that to the Volvo is quite a change and I probably haven't got use to the car ability.

I don't know what you think but it would be great to have a forum base on people's experiences from going to other car brands to a Volvo. Just a thought.

I think changing suspension is definitely out of question for me for the moment and I probably will investigate a little more tires options.

An other question comes to mind after reading both of your post. I like the idea of wider tires and I agree that keeping the over all size of the tire is probably best. However, for a same alloy wheel size (standard 16" Volvo T5 wheel in my case), can you found a tires with a different width or is it the wheel that drives the width of the tire you can use? As you can see I have a lot to learn

Thanks again guys…

Greg

PS: I'll make my post shorter next time.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Dont worry about the long post.

I think its more of a safety issue putting a wider tire on the same wheel, assuming it would fit.

The Tire Rack is very helpful, even if u buy somewhere else. I would either check with them or a reputable tire place in your area.

Hope that helps some. Good luck

http://www.tires.com/
http://www.tirerack.com/

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks S60 R,

I'll check those sites out

I'de like to keep the car safe, that's for sure,

I went on Michelin web site and I see that they have a summer tires that perform better with traction but over all the tires I have, the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 205/55/R16 91V, are pretty good in over all performance. I might even wait until winter. It can get pretty bad in PA at times with the snow and ice on the roads...It will give me a better idea of the true performance of the tires.

Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

I bought the TS AWD with the sport package with 17 inch wheels. I tested a car with 16 inchers and it seemed to be more comfortable interms of bumps and quiteness on the road (especially highway). I do notice that my 17 inchers are noisier with a constant thrumming sound on the highway, and the ride is more sporty. So far I haven't been able to make them squell (may be I am not try hard enough, or maybe its the electronics preventing them.) But that is more of a tire issue. The suspension is definitely much better (sport package) with a more taught ride and better handling. It suits the T5's character.

I agree on the advice of keeping the orignal overall tire diameter. If you can it too much then your speedo will be out of sync and it will give false high speed readings.

S40T5-CDN

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right on

I haven't thought about the speedometer and mileage.

I haven't done any mayor change yet either with my wheels situation but got lots of good feed back. I might wait for the tires to be ready for replacement.

thanks...

Greg

·
Registered
393 Posts
So do they do an S40 with the T5 block in it now?
What sort of BHP do they produce.
With a chip, K&N air filter, HKS exhaust and de-cat, dump valve and a few other mods that were on when I got it (ex-police car), I got my old 850 T5R up to 340 somthing BHP.
I assume it's the same lump, 2.3 5 cyl turbo.
Sure was scary without any traction control or anything like that.

Stu.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ho yea! since mid 2004. - actually it's a 2.5 liter inline T5 cilynder- 218HP 236lb/ft at 1500rpm 0-60 mph in 6.9 to 7.2 second depending on the transmission (which is the same transmission as the S60R). T5 comes with DSTC and AWD in an option.
Love the car

Greg

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Gregoire @ Nov 14 2005, 03:12 AM)
Love the car

Greg
[snapback]18461[/snapback]​

Bet you do, Greg!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts