Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a S40 T4 automatic transmission. When you come out of a roundabout and accelerate the transmissions slips and the engine revs. It also happens in stop-and-go traffic when you accelerate, back-off and re-accelerate. We have taken the car back to the dealership on 5 occasions. They reloaded the software on the last 2 and it seems to work okay for about a week then starts the slipping again.

Anyone else experienced this?

Steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Most likely the trans is on its way out.
If you are still under warranty take it back and complain.
If you are out of warranty and the problem started berfore you went out of warranty still complain to the dealer and they Should help you with your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. a little late on a post to this however we recently bought a used 01 Volvo S40 1.9T with 60k miles, and it has an intermittent transmission "slip" followed by a "grab". Reminds me of a manual trans when the clutch starts to slip. It happens at the 2nd to 3rd gear shift point; basically the engine rev's until the 3rd gear finally engages and then its fine from there. frequency is about 4-5 times per week in stop & go traffic. no other issues apparent, and in fact im generally pleased with the car.

The neighborhood Volvo dealership told me there were no fault codes when they checked the computer, and of course when the mechanic rides with me i cant reproduce it... so they think im nuts. they did suggest however that this transmission self-adjusts its shift points based on driving behavior and that this could be what im experiencing.

Scares me that the dealer cant give more of a diagnosis.

If anyone out there knows anything about this , pls reply/advise. do i have a lemon?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.