Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok,
2000 S40 has been aligned 4 times in last year and a half. Went through a set of tires in only 13K miles because car is not running straight... Car was bought with 47K miles as a certified pre-owned Volvo vehicle from Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church, VA. While traveling any speed on a flat straightaway, if you release your hands from the wheel for a few seconds, the car will drift/pull off to the left. This necessitates holding the wheel with a stiff arm while driving down the road in order to keep the vehicle moving straight. Also, if you turn the wheel 15 degrees to the left in say a parking lot while going 10 mph and let go of the wheel, the wheel stays turned in place and the car keeps turning. Conversely, if you turn the wheel 15 degrees to the right while going 10 mph and then let go of the wheel, the wheel snaps back to the center and then the car begins to drift to the left again. What gives here? We've had the Falls Churchg Volvo dealership align the car recently and even took it back... even test drove it with their technician who says there's nothing wrong with it and told us we shouldn't take our hands off the wheel while driving! He postured that the road surface causes the car to drift to the left!!! That was it, they adjusted a toe setting on the right tire and sent us on our way without a solution. I'm extremely unhappy at this point. I'm not a child and don't like being treated like one. It was their 4th and final chance to listen to me and try to solve this problem. I'm taking the car to another Volvo dealership in the same Don Beyer Automotive Group to try and get some resolution tomorrow morning. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!!! Thank you in advance for your help!!!!

Oh, and if the dealer can't fix this problem tomorrow, I'm buying a new Corolla on Saturday. I've sunk a lot of money into this car it will pain me to lose it... it's fun to drive and fun to look at, but on the whole, I don't think that Volvo's are what they used to be. My honest feeling is that this car is a real POS.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Make sure when you speak to someone at the dealership you talk to either the service manager or shop foreman.Make them drive it and you ride.Make sure they feel what it is doing.So when they drive it after it has been fixed they know it is fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip Tech. I thought I tried that but I'll go up a level to the foreman and try to make certain that they understand what's going on. Since you're the Tech, do you have any certain suspicions you can throw out there??? Thanks again!!!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There could be something possibly slightly bent.Have them check your upper spring seats.There is something they are missing.Maybe also a bad ball joint or bushing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Tech. Rode with a technician at the new dealership this morning. This technician did indeed recognize the drift/pull to the left. Spoke with the shop foreman and he gave a number of possibilities, some of which you mentioned above. I feel much more comfortable dealing w/this group. I'll be sure to let you know how I fare.... Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello !

I also had this problem with my V40 (drifting to the left).
After I went to some service and aligned the wheels, the problem persisted.
I've overinflated the left side tires. Same thing.
So I inspected the tires and saw that the front-left wheel was very worn. I've changed the front wheels to back and back to front.
PROBLEM SOLVED !

Try this, tell us what happened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Chaps,

I have this in my S40 as well. It is slight tho. It does jump back in the center at 10mph in a carpark but it does indeed drift/pull to the left.

What was wrong with yours? BTW I have nearly new tires on all 4 wheels.

Thanks.

D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts