Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
The message nuber3 cylinder misfire came on and I took it to a mechanic who tuned up the car with new plugs. The original Volvo plugs seem to have been there for 5years on the 2000S40. It got better performance but the light came on again with the same message. The mechanic then chaged the coil pack that sits on cylinder 3 and erased the code. The code came back agai after a while.
The car is due for State Emissions test but they would not test if the checkengine light is on. Any suggestions about how to fix it or get around the dilema? The car runs better than before.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If im not mistaken #3 cylinder has a wire that feeds the spark off the coil from either 1 or 2 cylinder.

If so try replacing the wire as well.
You could also swap the coil with the other one and see if the code changes cylinders.If it does then you know it is either the coil or the wire.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
BTW, welcome to the forum, Rafique!

I've relocated your messge into the S40 Forum. Hope you'll be able to indulge yourself with the information and advice here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tech. The coil is on number 3 as 1 and 2 are wire feed from 3 and 4 as I see it. You may be right though and I could check it as you have explined and also change the wire.
I hope it works and will let you know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts