Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 S40 with the premium audio system. I've noticed some strange behavior with the FM presets, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned (or if it's normal).

If I wait 30 seconds or so after starting the car before I try to switch stations, everything is fine. But if I try to switch stations immediately, the current station (the one it was already tuned to) temporarily replaces ALL the presets, so that I can't change the station. Turning the radio off and back on again usually resets this back to normal.

Has anyone else seen this? Do you have any idea what causes it? Should I take it to the dealer to have this looked at?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had the same problem and other problems with my premium system. My local dealer installed a software update and everything is fine now. The update took about 20 minutes and there was no charge of course.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(niko05 @ Mar 22 2005, 08:46 PM)I had the same problem and other problems with my premium system. My local dealer installed a software update and everything is fine now. The update took about 20 minutes and there was no charge of course.
[snapback]5517[/snapback]​

What "other problems" were you having? I'm wondering what else I should be looking out for.

·
Registered
261 Posts
After I would start my car and turn the radio on, the screen would read "FM 1 Preset 10 88.9". I could not change any radio station or get a cd to play. Also, I would get control of the radio but no sound would go to the speakers. When I would turn the car off wait about 4-5 minutes, it would work fine. After getting it fixed (software update), it turned out that it was a glitch with the anti theft. Something in the "new" key kept the radio from playing. It is designed like that so that no one can steal your stereo and use it in another car. Anyway, the software update fixed the problems. My local dealer says that there is also a problem in some early s40's with the steering wheel controls. You should be able to find out if you need any certain updates by calling your local dealer and giving them your VIN.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm seeing some of the same issues you describe, although I can usually reset mine by simply turning the radio off and back on (I don't have to cut the ignition for 4-5 minutes). The dealer is about an hour away, so I'll have to call ahead and make an appointment. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Definately call with your VIN and make sure that the software update should fix it. If that is the problem, as I said, it should only take 20 minutes or so. If not you may have a loaner for a day. Let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (niko05 @ Mar 24 2005, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After I would start my car and turn the radio on, the screen would read "FM 1 Preset 10 88.9". I could not change any radio station or get a cd to play. Also, I would get control of the radio but no sound would go to the speakers. When I would turn the car off wait about 4-5 minutes, it would work fine. After getting it fixed (software update), it turned out that it was a glitch with the anti theft. Something in the "new" key kept the radio from playing. It is designed like that so that no one can steal your stereo and use it in another car. Anyway, the software update fixed the problems. My local dealer says that there is also a problem in some early s40's with the steering wheel controls. You should be able to find out if you need any certain updates by calling your local dealer and giving them your VIN.
Hi, my 05 S40 has the same radio issue with the preset 10. Is the software update for the car overall or for the radio? I have a similar issue with the a/c, not cold but if engine is turned off for a while and re-started it is cold. Bought this car recently, one owner, full service history and very low k's. Any feedback welcomed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts