Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

a quick question rgearding my S40 1.8xs 1999

ive noticed recently, when drving along once i put the car in to gear and lift up the clutch pedal, i get a slight click sound or clunk sound as the pedal comes about half way up. when drving at faster speed it doesnt seem to be as noticeable, but in lower gears 1-2-3 up to about 50 mph its pretty noticeable. It feels as if the pedal itself has something caught near it, but ive checked the general area out without moving anything and i cant see anything. any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Last time I heard anything like this described, it was an old VW Golf's brake pedal making a similar noise, which turned out to be the "hinge" in which it pivoted having snapped & it was only holding on one side!

Suggest removing the pedal, inspecting mount & all components & while you have it apart, replacing the pedal bushes & return spring. Then re-assemble with a little grease on the pedal bushes if not supplied pre-greased and recommend using a new pedal securing circlip as well.

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys seen this post and it sounds exactally like the same issue i have with my 1999 volvo s40 xs 1.8.

feels like the carpet is holding it back or something and it affects brake pedal slightly untill it clicks up fully.

checked all my fluid levels no probs there. must be something shared between brakes / clutch actuation?

Anyone help? Im a computer guy not a mechanic.

beers for the saviour!!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Dont know if your clutch is hydraulic or not, but I had an 89 Firebird Formula with kind of the same prob. It would make a click sound when pushing the pedal, about halfway, then not as loud when letting the pedal up. Clutch worked fine, and never had to replace it. As long as I lubed the clutch fork every time I changed the oil, the click was not an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im sure it is hydraulic, But how would you go about lubing your clutch fork? hopefully without taking out the gearbox!!
is it generally a bit you can see/reach from the engine bay?

thx for your reply

·
Registered
357 Posts
i had a clunky clutch pedal, until i found the floor mat was catching it at the back. doubt it helps, but it's a relevant story! if i lived closer i'd help. hope you get it sorted soon. nothing worse than a nice car with clunks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts