Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to put a CD in my stereo today and the little motor wouldn't suck it in. I pushed it in a little manually, and when i hit the CD button it spits back out. Seems strange as the motor must be working to spit the CD out, but it won't take it in. I openned it up and there's nothing obvious there... any ideas what could be doing it? Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Did you try unplugging the radio totaly and plug it back in and try again?Some times just resetting it will work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, taken it out and replugged it - still doesn't work. Openned it up to make sure nothings physically blocking it, still not workin

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The only thing I could suggest is to try to find a electronic place that repairs radio's and see what they can do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well what do you know, pulled the stereo apart to get the little backlight bulbs out, put it together and it's workin again!

Next question though... i figured the backlights would be LED's but they're little bulbs. Is it possible to replace them easily? They have a little plastic base thing and a blue condom cover

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(danielribo @ Feb 12 2005, 06:40 PM)I tried to put a CD in my stereo today and the little motor wouldn't suck it in. I pushed it in a little manually, and when i hit the CD button it spits back out. Seems strange as the motor must be working to spit the CD out, but it won't take it in. I openned it up and there's nothing obvious there... any ideas what could be doing it? Thanks
[snapback]3270[/snapback]​

I suggest you send it back to the authorised dealer. My new S40's CD changer spoilt within 24 hours after I got my car. The get the whole thing replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding the illumination... each little bulb is secured in a little plastic cap that twists onto the PCB. I encountered two problems, the first being that nobody could provide me with the bulbs Volvo used (they're bulbs not LED's) so I had to go for one that is basically the same but a few mm taller. The problem with this was (once I managed to twist the wire's around and fit the bulb into the cap) when the facia of the CD player went back on, it would push down on the taller bulb and prevent the wires from making contact.

Second problem, those little caps are very easy to break! And once they're broken, there's not a hope in hell of getting the cap to apply enough pressure to make contact on the PCB. In the end, i gave up on using the caps and just soldered the globes directly onto the PCB.

That was about 6 weeks ago and they're still going strong. My advise - don't waste your time with the caps, because they're just not going to work. It wasn't a hard soldering job and if the bulbs blow again it won't be hard to remove them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts