Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2004.5 S40 T5. I am having an issue with the Surround Sound Dolby II radio system. The sound keeps cutting out on the speakers. I don't believe its a speaker porblem because the CD's work and sound fine. When all the speakers are working it sounds fantastic-but most of the time the speakers are cutting in and out. There is not just one thats the problem, they all seem to take their turns not working. I have an appointment for the 15K service in a couple of days. Does anyone have any advice for me while I am trying to explain this issue to the service tech. Is anyone having a similar problem?

Thanks
TechnoGranny

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Explain it to them the way you just did.
If you can try to get it to act up and show it to them so they know whats going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you select Surround Sound Dolby II for radio, you must have very good FM reception. Otherwise, it will sound like speakers are cutting in and out, as you described. I think it is actually the surround sound effect cutting in and out. I have noticed that as well. I set the system for Dolby II for CDs and 3-channel audio for FM. If you are having the problem with CDs, then something is definitely wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you get to the dealership ask about a software update for the audio system, I've read about many people having their sound cut out of the speakers, and that a software update remedied the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not sure of the source of your problem but I jsut picked up a new S40 and the sales person recommended that I turn the surround sound off for radio play and only use if for CD's. He told me that if a station does not transmit in surround sound your symptoms could result.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem! I have tried to explain to the guys at the dealership but they do not understand my problem since it doesn't always do it. However, I have noticed that under 3 channel, it doesn't seem to cut out in the same manner.Has anyone found a solution?

·
Registered
261 Posts
TechnoGranny,
alderaan has the right idea. The FM reception while using the Pro II setting is not very good and you can hear the "psudo" surround effect coming in and out of phase. Just set your FM settings to 3 channel and your CD settings to Pro II and that should do it.

I noticed this effect most when I would turn to a talk radio station (NPR etc..)

Hope that helps
Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts