Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm from Malaysia. My new S40 2.4i had 3 manufacturing defects in fewer than 90 days! I wonder what QA had been done before the car was out from the factory?

The first defect was due to aircond o-ring leaking. I detected it on 26/12/2004 when it was like sauna inside the car. Sent the car to the workshop the next day and got it fix.

The second defect was due to bad left front wheel bearing. The workshop put some grease to the bearing but couldn't get the problem solved. So, finally they had to change the bearing hub. The workshop also detected same problem with the right front wheel bearing. They have ordered the part (right front wheel bearing stuff) and asked me to send the car again for repair.

I am disapointed with the volvo dealer in Malaysia. I had responded to them by submitting to their "talk to us" electronic form to ask them on how to compensate for the loss of my time for having to go to their workshop so many times because of Volvo poor QA. So far no reply from them (already 2 weeks!)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems with the car and the dealer there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear Jennhuei

I bought my S40 2.4i Safari Green in late Nov-04 from Federal Auto. So far, i've clocked 3000 km and had no major problem whatsoever.
In fact, I really enjoy driving it. Frankly, it is really a head turner driving in KL with not many S40 on the road yet.
The only minor problem was with the ignition but I suspect it was due to some electro-magnetic inteference. It happened recently near KL Sentral (near depature hall). After "rebooting" the car, it was okay. Prior to that , the radio blinked several times before shutting-off by itself. That happened on 26-dec-04 whilst I was drving up north - the day tsunamic struck South-Asia. I guess the car electronics must be very sensitive to the surrounding electro-magnetic waves. I've checked in other volvo forums and found one owner also faced similar problem with his transponder.

Hope you managed to settle your car problems pretty soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi razibar,

Nice to hear from another owner of S40 2.4i from Malaysia and thanks for your concern.

FYI, my mileage is almost 10,000km as I traveled frequently from KL to Penang and vice versa.

Today my wife sent the car to Penang workshop to resolve the defect. The technician told her that the defect was absorber bearing, not wheel bearing. Anyway, Penang workshop has done its job resolving the defect F.O.C. Hope no more defects!

BTW, we also discussed local Volvo issues at http://www.autoworld.com.my/forum/

You may want to have a look there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear everything is ok. Since it is under warranty, I dont expect them to charge for the service. Sometimes, it is really diassapointing to encounter such problems especially when the car cost quite subtantially in Malaysia.

BTW, so far I've managed to find another Malaysian New S40 owner by the name of Excalibur. Both of us have registered with the VOCM forum. Hope you could do as well to enable us to share our experiences/problems driving this new babe in Malaysia.

http://www.vocm.com.my/

S40 2.4i Geartronic Safari Green

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Glad to know you guys are finding each other and sharing information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts