Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following problem with my S60: 5000km on the clock and brakes that vibrate the car so much it is embarassing (and not a little worrying) when braking hard from anything over 100 kph. Apparently, it is a known problem, which would suggest Volvo needs to do something urgently about their suppliers.

When I visited the dealer for the first time with the problem (immediatly the problem surfaced), he assured me it was just rust on the discs, and using the car/brakes would clean the discs and the problem would go away. This did not happen, and yesterday, when I showed the dealer that the discs (made of steel) were now (some two weeks after the problem started) practically free of rust, but the vibration was still present, he agreed to take it for a test drive. When he came back, he immediately agreed to change discs and pads (at the rear where he thinks the problem is) under warranty.

And there is no way on earth Volvo (or anyone else for that matter) could convince a court that they are only obliged to do it once. On the contrary, once Volvo admits there is a problem with rust on the brake discs (and they do this implictly by agreeing to change them) Volvo HAS to do it again, if the same problem occurs. And we should not forget that brakes are top of the safety list, so Volvo is asking for serious trouble both in the courtroom and in the market place if it refuses to respond to customer or media concerns (even outside of the warranty period) and any accident can subsequently be traced back to the brake performance, or lack thereof..

So keep the posts coming...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
As far as the rust issue Rust can build up on rotors on any car not just Volvo.You have an issue with warped rotors.I think they blew you off the first time.I you had just bought the car there might have been a little more rust that would just wear off but all cars are known to get warped rotors.This is how easy rotors can get warped.You are driving along using the brakes quite a bit for either traffic or going down a hill while it is raining.Then after the brakes are hot you hit a puddle from the rain while they are hot and now the rotors are warped.

Warped rotors are not really a safety issue.It isjust not comfortable to drive.

To help you in the future if you feel it in the brake pedal it is the rear brakes.If you feel it through the steering wheel it is the front brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was aware of the rear/pedal, front/steering-wheel indications, and you are of course absolutely right to say that Volvo is not alone in having problems with rust on brake discs/rotors. It seems that, unlike bikes which tend to use lighter alloys, steel is required for car discs in order to be able to dissipate the heat generated by the extra weight of the vehicle.

The thing here is that the problem occured when the car was not being used. Given that it is Spring, it was not very cold. However, rain and general dampness meant that the build up of rust was not unexpected. But if leaving your new car on the drive for a day or two is all it takes to warp brake discs/rotors, then Volvo (and other car manufacturers, too) have a big problem, as I mentioned in the original post, with suppliers and quality. After all, it is going to cost them a packet to replace these things under warranty, which I am guessing is what they would have to do (at least in new cars) every time an owner decides to go away on holiday for a weekend...

I mean, I cannot see any manufacturer getting away for very long with hiding some clause in the fine print of the sales contract stating that a vehicle's brakes "can be damaged by lack of use" and oblinging the purchaser to accept that not using the vehicle for a period of time will lead to brake units needing replacement, which is not covered by the warranty. And if they *did* put such a clause in the contract, who would buy the cars?

I am fortunate: the dealer gave me no real problems when confronted with the evidence. However, that does not always seem to be the case, and I do not know if he will be quite so accomodating, if the problem occurs again.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If the problem occurs again and you are still under warranty they can/will replace the warped rotors.
If you are within 12 months of replacing them and not under factory warranty the parts are under warranty.

Rotors are a big fault with all cars and the bad part is I don't think anything will be done soon to fix the issue.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Your rotors shouldn't warp just from sitting in your driveway (or anywhere else for that matter). I've gone over a week at times without moving the car, and they won't warp. They will rust if rain gets on them or you wash the car, but that will wear off without a problem the first time you hit the brakes.

Wheather you use a car wash, or do it by hand, dont do it if the car is warm. Like Tech said with the puddles, this will warp them right away.

FYI, I wash my car once or twice a week

1 - 5 of 5 Posts