Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

New here, did take a little time to check for old threads, however not much relevant or with the answers i seek.

'02 model S60 2.4 FWD, low speed hard cornering, but not a full lock to either side.
I hear a rubbing noise from the front end, and almost disappears again when going straight.
Slight slalom afterwards will provoke the sound to appear again, but it will go away completely after a while.
I also feel it in the steering wheel, like a vibration, when i hear the rubbing sound.

Amongst the answers and suggestions i've been able to find here and elsewhere, it could be:
Rubber stops for full lock (although i don't lock the steering wheel fully to either side)
CV joints
Wheel bearings
Top strut mounts
Power steering wheel fluid (which i will check once it's daylight again)

Anyone with the knowledge to tell me which once i should prioritise, and which ones i shouldn't consider?

Thanks in advance
Luffty

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
my first thought would be early indications of a wheel bearing, try the push pull test on the wheel, you should feel any slop, which would indicate wheel bearings (generally when cornering the bearing gives slightly and the brake discs rub on the pads).
power steering fluid, if low- possibly, easy to check and rectify though. (it generally sounds more like a wheezing noise)
top strut mounts is more of a clunk when going over bumps, easy to check, open the hood and push down on that corner, watch the inner part at the top strut, watch for the metal bushing in the middle moving excessively, it is usually the rubber mounts here that fail.
CV joints, probably not, if they are bad you will get a clicking noise (in my experience)

Reactions: Luffty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

I tried jacking up the front end and check the bearings, but the entire car rocked on the car jack instead - top strut mounts, rubber stops, struts, springs, and even wheel clearing to inner fender was checked, with no issues found..
No clicking at any given time, so i doubt the CV joints aswell..
Power steering fluid was low though, below minimum marker - will get it topped up when cold, and see if the problem persist 🙂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts