Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took car to mech and he replaced a relay, then said coil was bad, replaced that--car is still not starting. No spark but goes RRRRR RRRRR Rrrrrrr
ARGHHHHHH Mech says he can pick it up for 50.00 and see what else it is.
Any suggestions?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have they checked the engine speed sensor and the powerstage yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW I have another query--on our 1988 740 gle wagon where in the creeping catapillar goofy green goopy glob is the fuse box? In all the other ones it was under the driver's side by the door. But we can't find this one.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The engine speed sensor is located on the back of the engine.If you look down from the top it looks like it goes into the top of the transmission where the trans meets the engine.If the outside sheilding is broke on the sensor replace it.
The power stage is located on the left side fender under the hood it is a black sensor mounted on an aluminum plate.
The dist cap is located on the back of the head.

The fuse box on the 740 is located behind the ashtray.Push the tab at the bottom of the ashtray and pull the bottom out.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Let me know how you make out and if you need more help just post and I will reply.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The easiest way for him to find it is to follow the wires from the spark plugs back to the distributer.It should be on the back of the head.There is also a chance it is located on the side of the head in the block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shortly after I wrote the post--we did find it. Now for the REALLY big question...
how do we get the thing off? Can't get our hands behind it nor a wrench or screw driver? Any suggestions? ( aint we pathetic?)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is 3 screws that go through the cap into the dist. they are 8mm you will need an 8mm wrench. There is also 2 10mm screws don't remove themthey hold the dist to the head.Once the screws are loose you will have to work the cap out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok-- so....after about 900.00 bucks worth of repair cost, the darned thing is still not working right. I drove it to California stalling out here and there. It dies out but starts back up. I asked the RAZZLE FRAZZLE FRICKIN mechanic to check the fuel system he swore he did-- what do you think? It sounds like it's not geting gas like it's the fuel filter?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If the fuel filter was bad then you would have power at full throttle.
Sounds like a short somewhere in the wiring or something like that.
Does the engine harness look good?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently had a problem with my 240GL which would die out, or misfire badly, and returned to normal with no rhymne or reason. This happened to be after new harness was replaced as part of maintenance. The emergency services went under the car and tapped on the pump to make it work again after it stalled and could not be restarted. Volvo dealer had checked out fuel line pressures, (not, methinks) and only on 2nd return did they agree to change the fuel pump and ancillary pump and filter.
Been good since then. Mind you , it was 250,000km, and 1984 model.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I still ask how does the engine harness look where it plugs into the body harness at the back of the intake?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I will pose that question Monday because as you guessed...the coil was not the answer. Is it also possible for the the bad first coil and the bad distrbutor to short out the new main relay? I'll have the mechanic look at the harness on Monday.... *long deep depressing sigh* I sure hope this does not exceed the cost of my car, the last mechanic charged me 900.00 dollars for nothing in my opinion!!!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
They usually won't short out the relay.That is why I keep asking about the harness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mech said he did check harness-- Perhaps if I explain a little more in detail what the car is doing when and how it might hep more? While driving it this weekend I tried harder to pay more attention to the smallest details so I could communicate better to the mechanic and to you. While driving at higher RPM's ( 65MPH) the car does die out but with a hit on the gas pedal it will revive quicker-- I notice the car die or loose power more at lower speeds ( after stoping at lights, parking lots, or going into slower speed limits) more often. Sometimes, I can pump the gas and it wil rev up and go--sometimes..not--it just wil die. Then I can just start it up an it will either chug and run or just go like the dickens--no real rhyme or reason. The one Mechanic who changed the distributor would not even fa an invoice over to me on what else he SAID he checked. (the bill was about 900.00) We are disbuting the bill now s we paid with our credit card. Anyway... any advice would help us figure this out.
Thank you
M

1 - 20 of 25 Posts